• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2014 SW Spring Rally. Oh Yeah, It's on!

I made a hotel reservation today for this event with hopes I can make it down there with Gumby...  :beerchug:

ZG said:
I made a hotel reservation today for this event with hopes I can make it down there with Gumby...  :beerchug:
:motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :) :)
Bring on the Paparazzi! Dunno if I can get you lobby parking this time but I'll give it a shot!

Old Man on a Connie said:
ZG said:
Bring on the Paparazzi! Dunno if I can get you lobby parking this time but I'll give it a shot!

:)) :)) :))

Well no promises yet that I can actually make it OMC, but I figured with such a turnout yer looking to have for this gala event I better at least secure a room.  ;D :beerchug:

I hope to know for sure in a couple weeks...

ZG said:
ZG said:

:)) :)) :))

Well no promises yet that I can actually make it OMC, but I figured with such a turnout yer looking to have for this gala event I better at least secure a room.  ;D :beerchug:

I hope to know for sure in a couple weeks...
You keep me posted young stud. Just so's ya know there's a place downtown called whiskey row. Awesome historical area, Where they filmed Billy Jack. Just sayin'  :)

Ping Jockey said:
Hey Old Man

how many are we up to? have we broken any records?

Hey PJ,

We've been holding firm at 41 for about 10 days now.  No records have fallen so far.  I'm expecting a bump or two here shortly as we get a bit closer.

Mike

MikeB said:
Ping Jockey said:
Hey Old Man

how many are we up to? have we broken any records?

Hey PJ,

We've been holding firm at 41 for about 10 days now.  No records have fallen so far.  I'm expecting a bump or two here shortly as we get a bit closer.

Mike
Woop. Just hit 42. Early reg ends 5/1 so a heads up. Yep, Mikes right. If we follow the profile of the RRR we should be over 60 by rally time plus we had a few walkins. I believe the current record is 53 at the last event. Yippe Ky Yay. For you statisticians 60 would represent about 27% of active members and about 10% of total members for the SW area Member/Forum Member. This is a VERY good number based on what I've seen of other areas. Let the Members show the Forum Member folks why it's worth the dollars to join this club. "Join for the bike, Stay for the PEOPLE"!
Let's Dance
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD

Speaking of "walk-ins" if I were to walk in, what's the chances of finding a room? Are there camp grounds close buy to get a spot for a tent?

Thanks!

Gumby said:
KnoxSwift said:
Speaking of "walk-ins" if I were to walk in, what's the chances of finding a room? Are there camp grounds close buy to get a spot for a tent?

Thanks!
Jay booked a room last week. It's worth a call.
Prescott Comfort Inn
1290 White Spar Rd,
Prescott, AZ 86303
(928) 778-5770

If that does not work. White Spar campground is less than a mile from rally central.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/prescott/recreation/bicycling/recarea/?recid=67165&actid=29

Yep, better safe than sorry, you can always cancel if you don't go, there isn't a cancellation charge.  :great: :beerchug:

ZG said:
Gumby said:
KnoxSwift said:

Thanks!
Jay booked a room last week. It's worth a call.
Prescott Comfort Inn
1290 White Spar Rd,
Prescott, AZ 86303
(928) 778-5770

If that does not work. White Spar campground is less than a mile from rally central.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/prescott/recreation/bicycling/recarea/?recid=67165&actid=29

Yep, better safe than sorry, you can always cancel if you don't go, there isn't a cancellation charge.  :great: :beerchug:
Tis true. There is a lot of local lodging. Rally central has 60 rooms and there is local camping close by but it's dry camping. The only thing we could find close with water/power and restrooms/showers were for RV's with no tent camping. This is the beginning of the season for Prescott so any last minute lodging could be pricey.

I have a dilemma to resolve prior to the Rally. first the background, the 99 Connie is showing her age  ???and slowing down :'(, drooling a little big and just not as peppy as last year. So being the nice guy that I am I wanted to relieve the old trusty one's work load and went to look at a nice new shiny 2014 Connie :) Red or Black hummm choices. As I was leaving I had to ride past the BMW dealer and somehow ended up looking at and sitting on a new R1200RT with all the whiz bang stuff that the Germans love. Now here is the dilemma, 1. Give the old girl one last trip through the desert to Prescott. 2. flip a coin and go either a new Red or Black Connie 3. traverse to the dark side and pay homage to my ancestral homeland and get a  Bemmer! What say you!

Ping Jockey said:
I have a dilemma to resolve prior to the Rally. first the background, the 99 Connie is showing her age  ???and slowing down :'(, drooling a little big and just not as peppy as last year. So being the nice guy that I am I wanted to relieve the old trusty one's work load and went to look at a nice new shiny 2014 Connie :) Red or Black hummm choices. As I was leaving I had to ride past the BMW dealer and somehow ended up looking at and sitting on a new R1200RT with all the whiz bang stuff that the Germans love. Now here is the dilemma, 1. Give the old girl one last trip through the desert to Prescott. 2. flip a coin and go either a new Red or Black Connie 3. traverse to the dark side and pay homage to my ancestral homeland and get a  Bemmer! What say you!
BLACK 2014 Connie  :great:  You will never look back except for when you want to see that BMW behind you.  ;D

Ping Jockey said:
2014 Connie :) Red or Black hummm choices.  new R1200RT with all the whiz bang stuff that the Germans love.
The Connie will only cost you the left fella (unless you repaint it every time it gets dirty like Jay does). The beemer will cost you both the left and right fellas but it's yer sack. I'll ride with ya if you buy a tricycle though (then I can keep up).  :)

Ping Jockey said:
However to say this w/o it coming out....er...wrong: whatever fits your butt's desires....

Ping Jockey said:
As I was leaving I had to ride past the BMW dealer and somehow ended up looking at and sitting on a new R1200RT with all the whiz bang stuff that the Germans love. Now here is the dilemma, 1. Give the old girl one last trip through the desert to Prescott. 2. flip a coin and go either a new Red or Black Connie 3. traverse to the dark side and pay homage to my ancestral homeland and get a  Bemmer! What say you!

PJ, you say you "sat on" the 1200.  You better ride it first.  Before I bought my '11 Connie, I test rode the 1200RT and the 1300GT (at the time).  An hour later I test rode the Connie.  Decision made.  Even with all the bells and whistles of the BMW's, the actual ride said it all...and the fact that it was about $7000 less was just icing on the cake.  Have never looked back.

Just my humble opinion.
Mike

Registration RSVPed and Reservations made at the rally central hotel.  :motonoises:

It will be great to meet you all.

The down side is I will NOT make the Friday 5pm check-in. Unfortunately I could not get out of work and by the time I ride out there it will easily be midnight or 1am. At least I won't be riding in the heat of the day, and Night Rides can be fun, UFO territory...

I'll be there for all the Saturday Fun!
Please let me know if I should know or setup anything now for that  Saturday since I'll be so late and missing check-in.

Last, if anyone is in a similar situation coming from SOCAL let me know, be up for riding out with someone

:great:

KnoxSwift said:
Registration RSVPed and Reservations made at the rally central hotel.  :motonoises:

It will be great to meet you all.

The down side is I will NOT make the Friday 5pm check-in. Unfortunately I could not get out of work and by the time I ride out there it will easily be midnight or 1am. At least I won't be riding in the heat of the day, and Night Rides can be fun, UFO territory...

I'll be there for all the Saturday Fun!
Please let me know if I should know or setup anything now for that  Saturday since I'll be so late and missing check-in.

Last, if anyone is in a similar situation coming from SOCAL let me know, be up for riding out with someone

Outstanding KnoxSwift. I'll hold your rally pack and swag and try to post all info by the checkin desk so you can peruse at your leisure prior to going horizontal. You ride safe OK? There are deer up by Prescott.

Old Man on a Connie,

Thanks!
Figured it would be best to go to rally central rather than finding a campsite. I'll ask for the pack when I check in.

Thanks for the deer, heads up.

Tock 45. Will we beat the previous attendance record? Oh me thinks so! Mike B has the shirts ordered up and Brian L's (boots on the ground) garage is filling with rally swag as we speak. Early reg ends 5/1 as a reminder. I hope to have the banquet menu posted this weekend and the rally agenda. On Friday night I would like to hold a small town hall meeting (ala the nationals) for you, the members to ask questions and give suggestion's (The Bruces will be limited to one question as a group  :)). We should have the AD, UTAAD, COAAD and NORCAL/NORNV AAD present. What say you Membership? Yay or Nay? :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: Put on the dancin' shoes!
MarkHartman
COG/SWAD

The Bruces will be limited to one question as a group  :)

A) I'm not sure the SWAD has the authority to identify such limiting rules....plus, if we promise Brad-man a breakfast, he might try to override you...
B) If I ask why - is that considered our collective question?

notsluggo said:
The Bruces will be limited to one question as a group  :)

A) I'm not sure the SWAD has the authority to identify such limiting rules....plus, if we promise Brad-man a breakfast, he might try to override you...This tactic has been tried before, But I admire the effort, now B Fast for me is a different story
B) If I ask why - is that considered our collective question?In my best Fat Ba$tard voice.............Maybe.........
:beerchug: :) :))

Hey Old Man

I say YAY to the town hall meetup. And as a side note, I've put the old girl back together (for the third time) and Shazam!! it runs good, pulls good and no noticeable leaks  :). So I will be riding it to Prescott :beerchug:, my next goal is for the odometer to roll to all zero's in the next 3-4 weeks.  My apologies to the Kawasaki sales department you wont be seeing me this year!

OMC -
Is there a primary local shop that will provide tire changes as/if necessary?
The PR3s I rode to/from the RRR now have about 7k on them and I'm not sure how long to expect them to last....
Thanks!

notsluggo said:
OMC -
The PR3s I rode to/from the RRR now have about 7k on them and I'm not sure how long to expect them to last....
Thanks!
Yassir. I met with them about 2 months ago and working some promo stuff with them now. Not sure if we can work out a discount but. Let me dig out the info and I'll post up.

notsluggo said:
OMC -
Thanks!
Yassir. I met with them about 2 months ago and working some promo stuff with them now. Not sure if we can work out a discount but. Let me dig out the info and I'll post up.
Here ya go Bruce. Call ahead to be sure. Also note hours. I believe they are closed Sun and Mon. I'll advise on rally participation.
http://www.starislandms.com/

Ping Jockey said:
Hey Old Man

I say YAY to the town hall meetup. And as a side note, I've put the old girl back together (for the third time) and Shazam!! it runs good, pulls good and no noticeable leaks  :). So I will be riding it to Prescott :beerchug:, my next goal is for the odometer to roll to all zero's in the next 3-4 weeks.  My apologies to the Kawasaki sales department you wont be seeing me this year!
Tick 46. Hey PJ, I thought you were in SEA searching for a missing jet! Who else would they call? No beemer in your future? You find that pic for me yet?

notsluggo said:
OMC -
Thanks!
Here ya go Bruce. Call ahead to be sure. Also note hours. I believe they are closed Sun and Mon. I'll advise on rally participation.

Called Star Island today and spoke with Sean in parts.  Advised him of the rally and the chance that a good number of riders might need new shoes while in town.  Also advised him to let the service mgr know in case he wants to staff up or schedule down to support tire changes.
I'll be watching my tires and if they're good to go (one-way) I will call on or about 5/26 to order a set. He said they take about two days max to arrive.

Say, any chance of getting a female massage therapist this time?  Or - was the participation so low in Cedar City that you don't think it'd be worthwhile?

notsluggo said:
notsluggo said:
OMC -
Thanks!

Called Star Island today and spoke with Sean in parts.  Advised him of the rally and the chance that a good number of riders might need new shoes while in town.  Also advised him to let the service mgr know in case he wants to staff up or schedule down to support tire changes.
I'll be watching my tires and if they're good to go (one-way) I will call on or about 5/26 to order a set. He said they take about two days max to arrive.

Say, any chance of getting a female massage therapist this time?  Or - was the participation so low in Cedar City that you don't think it'd be worthwhile?

Hey Bruce,

That kid made over $250 in Cedar City.  I mentioned getting another for this time around, not sure anyone took me up on it though.  It's a good idea I think.

Mike

Just got word from boots on the ground that he's running out of room. New sponsors announced in the OP. Expect the Rally Agenda and Menu soon.  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :)

OK, with the help from others on the forum, I Finally have my KDS setup working! (What a PITA)...

So, I'll plan to bring it to the Rally and offer KDS Diag/Fob/TPMS services.  :)

But again, I'll only be there for Saturday/Sunday.

KnoxSwift said:
OK, with the help from others on the forum, I Finally have my KDS setup working! (What a PITA)...

So, I'll plan to bring it to the Rally and offer KDS Diag/Fob/TPMS services.  :)

But again, I'll only be there for Saturday/Sunday.
Very Cool!  :great:

Tick. Oh Smack! 50 in! Don't do this  :-[ Early reg closes 5/1 and also rally central room rates. Way to go SW! May have to up the tshirt order and din's!

I know of a COG Member that won't be able to make it to this Rally (starting a new job).  He still has his room reservations at the hotel and is wanting to offer them up to anyone looking.  Please let me know if you are interested in taking this reservation for him.

Mike
mike.burkey4@gmail.com

Tick!  We are currently tied with the Bun Cooler at total registrants of 51!  However, we have more bikes!!!  :great:

Bun Cooler Stats
Registrants: 34
Guests: 17
Total: 51

AZ Territorial Stats
Registrants: 42
Guests: 9
Total: 51

Let's keep rockin' it SWR! You know you are making a showing when you can run with the Bun Cooler!!! 
Perhaps a friendly wager is in order....?  :beerchug:

Tick 52. Early reg is now closed. No dilly no dally. Don't be a late reg if you can avoid it. Gonna be a hoot!  :great: :beerchug:

Tock. 53 registered. This ties the RRR. Great Job SW COG! Menu and Agenda to be sent soon. Very proud of the efforts of the AZ group and SW COG in support of these events. Looking forward to seeing you all. Even the Bruces! Will the parking lot heated grip bandit strike again (still looking for you sumbitch)? Will Mike B need another rear tire? How many plugs will Tom T. need this run? How many 3 legged chickens will be seen? Will the tar snakes raise their ugly heads? So many questions. So few answers. Guess you have to be there. C U in Prescott AZ.  :beerchug:

MikeB said:
I know of a COG Member that won't be able to make it to this Rally (starting a new job).  He still has his room reservations at the hotel and is wanting to offer them up to anyone looking.  Please let me know if you are interested in taking this reservation for him.

Mike
mike.burkey4@gmail.com

FYI......this room has been taken.  Thanks!

MikeB said:
Tick........ AND Tock.  55 folks!!!  :great:
New record folks! This calls for excessive use of emoticons.  :-\ :-[ :nananana: :rotflmao: :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :) ;) ??? >:D :You_Rock_Emoticon: :sign0098: 8) :s_good: :bravo_2: :c017: :whoo: :wee_hee: :popcorncouple: :popcorn: :1rij: :13: :dance: :allhail: :victory: :cheer: :engel016: :Woot_Emoticon: :party0036: :campfire: :clap: :72: :57: :-* :08: :86: :19: :19: :c029: O:) :051bye: :49: :06: :singing: :103: :friends: :character0029: Sorry mods. I owe you a frosty one. Way to go SWCOG. C U in Prescott AZ.

MikeB said:
Tick........ AND Tock.  55 folks!!!  :great:
New record folks! This calls for excessive use of emoticons.  :-\ :-[ :nananana: :rotflmao: :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :) ;) ??? >:D :You_Rock_Emoticon: :sign0098: 8) :s_good: :bravo_2: :c017: :whoo: :wee_hee: :popcorncouple: :popcorn: :1rij: :13: :dance: :allhail: :victory: :cheer: :engel016: :Woot_Emoticon: :party0036: :campfire: :clap: :72: :57: :-* :08: :86: :19: :19: :c029: O:) :051bye: :49: :06: :singing: :103: :friends: :character0029: Sorry mods. I owe you a frosty one. Way to go SWCOG. C U in Prescott AZ.

You forgot 

Anybody with floor space Friday night?It would be appreciated or camping is fine,in back of the place.  The Wizard(Jerry)

56 and Holy sheet! Looking forward to seeing you JP. Gotta have a skilled photog for the group photo,  :beerchug: Me you and gumby need to collaborate!

Oy! Now I have to decide whether to run the 500+ miles to your place on Thursday, or just man up and do the 700+ to Prescott on Friday. Ehh, it's only a few hours further. Plus, I could cross the Mojave in the middle of the night, rather than the middle of the day runnin' for your place.

Any ideas where I can crash in Prescott? Haven't been able to find any rooms I can afford that are close.

I have a grass back yard for camping if needed.  Not in Prescott, but Prescott Valley.  An option. 

FAIR WARNING: I have a dog and 3 young kids, so it will likely not be a quite place to camp.  ;)

Called Rally central today and there are a few rooms still available. Maybe you can hook up with wizard. He's lookin. Only camping we could find close that allowed tent camping was all dry camping so we didn't promo it (and I mean dry as in no running water and pit stools).

MikeB,

You wouldn't want to hear me whine about not having my own emoticon would you?  :nananana:

:party0036:  MrSkydriver

P.S. It is kinda difficult keeping my wine glass balanced on the tank but I manage  :-[

I make it 57 or 58. Reserved room for Saturday night. Coming up from Tucson so about 3 1/2 drive so not sure if i'll be up Friday night or early Saturday morning. 1st COG event.

Charby said:
I make it 57 or 58. Reserved room for Saturday night. Coming up from Tucson so about 3 1/2 drive so not sure if i'll be up Friday night or early Saturday morning. 1st COG event.
Outstanding SW COG! Calling the caterer tomorrow to up the meal count.  :great: :beerchug: :)

MikeB said:
denver6 said:
Time to start packin'  :beerchug:

Yeah Rob,  I start packing early and pack 3-4 times before I actually load the bike.    ::)

Mike

Start the day before how much time you need????

Ever heard the saying " have two weeks to plan/pack" takes two weeks. " have two days to plan/pack" takes two days. Trip goes off just the same... :)) :))

AMA membership is required for rides with groups?  Do I have time to join AMA if needed before rally and receive membership card?  Oh well I'll go on stealth mode and nobody will know.  Anyway looking forward to seeing COG in Prescott

breeze said:
AMA membership is required for rides with groups?  Do I have time to join AMA if needed before rally and receive membership card?  Oh well I'll go on stealth mode and nobody will know.  Anyway looking forward to seeing COG in Prescott
AMA membership not required (but suggested for the help). Looking forward to seeing you.

I have just confirmed that Teri Crosby will bless us with her presence!  So I guess I will need to behave and let the C-14s keep up with me.  Darn!!    :mad:

Randy 
:beerchug:

Randy Brazie said:
Oh, yea, I noted on her reservation, but one Veggie meal, please!!
Should be good on the veggie. FYI T Cross's membership is up for renewal. Looking forward to seeing her again. Awesome!

Six Freakin' Zero = almost up to Mark's age.... :nananana:

Randy - wanna race?  :motonoises:

Happy that Teri is coming....she'll keep you in line!  :rotflmao:

Gregg  :party0036:

MikeB said:
Up to 61 and putting the hurt on the Bun Cooler.  :nananana:

Man.... is it too late for me to cancel? I'm beginning to wish I had planned on goin' north. Better roads, better weather, about the same distance.

It's gonna be brutal crossing the Mojave.    :(

I just want to make sure that everyone knows that AZ Highway 89A is closed due to fire and maintenance. AZ Highway 89 is open and available.

Have Fun,
Jim

Found this update re the fire south of between Flagstaff and Sedona:

Slide Fire Reported 5 Percent Contained; Crews to Conduct Burnouts Tonight
Body
(Posted May 22, 2014, at 9:06 p.m.) The Slide Fire is located in Oak Creek Canyon just north of Slide Rock State Park and burning northward, up the canyon into places such as West Fork and Harding Point.

Today:
Crews continued to hold the fire west of Highway 89A and south of Fry Canyon. A small spot fire occurred across the northern line into an area that was thinned in 2006. Because this area was previously treated, the spot fire was unable to grow and crews quickly extinguished it.

Hotshot crews also worked to create fire line across the Pumphouse Wash near the Hwy 89A ‘switchbacks’ to control the east flank and prevent further spread east.

Winds increased to 18 to 22 mph with gusts of 32, temperatures were in the 70s. As the day continued to warm, firefighters saw an increase in fire behavior, with the most active portion of the fire toward the northwest to Harding Point. Firefighters observed active fire in the East Pocket area, but previously dropped retardant helped firefighters minimize growth. 

Tonight: 
Firefighters will work throughout the lower canyon to monitor fire activity and conduct burnout operations as necessary. Overnight downslope winds will likely continue to drive the fire down canyon. Erratic winds may also be present producing moderate fire behavior. Crews will conduct burnout operations along FSR 535 and prepare FSR 231 for continued burnout operations tomorrow.

Slide Fire summary:
Size: Approximately 7,500 acres.
Containment: 5%
Location: Originated just about 4 to 5 miles north of Sedona, just north of Slide Rock State Park.
Date Reported: Tuesday, May 20 at approximately 4 p.m.
Cause: Human caused, under investigation
Law Enforcement is seeking any information the public may have regarding the start of the Slide Fire and anyone of suspicion in the area on the day the fire started between Slide Rock State Park and Half Way Picnic Area. The public should call Forest Service Law Enforcement at 928-527-3511 if they have any information that might assist law enforcement in the investigation.
Structures Threatened:  Approximately 300 structures, private homes as well vacation resort cabins and a Forest Service lookout tower.
Injuries: No injuries reported.
Current Resources: Approximately 840 personnel including 15 hotshot crews, 33 engines, three air tankers, five helicopters, two air attack, and other resources.

Closures:
·        Highway 89A from Sedona to Fort Tuthill in Flagstaff
·        Forest Road (FR) 535 at Highway 89A
·        FR 533 at Highway 89A
·        FR 231 at Rogers Lake
·        FR 527 and 530 (west side; Volunteer Canyon area)
·        Casner Mountain is closed to all vehicles

Evacuations: Evacuations remain in place in Oak Creek Canyon from Slide Rock State Park to Sterling Springs Hatchery. Coconino County issued a pre-evacuation notice to residents of Kachina Village and Forest Highlands subdivisions.

FYI Prescott is celebrating its 150th anniversary on the 30th and 1st. Here is the article from the newspaper:

Prescott's sesquicentennial

The city will celebrate its 150th anniversary with a full slate of activities Friday-Sunday, May 30-June 1.

A ceremony at 5 p.m. Friday at Courthouse Square will include a proclamation and a 150-foot-long sheet cake. On Saturday and Sunday, the square will host live music and activities ranging from games and crafts for kids to mechanical-bull rides and a display of military vehicles. There will be beer and wine gardens all three evenings.

On Saturday and Sunday, Sharlot Hall Museum will present living-history demonstrations, children's activities, a 19th-century fashion show, lectures on the city's founding and live music. At 1:50 p.m. Saturday, there will be a re-enactment of the meeting at which Prescott received its name.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/2014/05/23/party-prescott-citys-th-birthday/9493197/

The hotel is about 5 miles from the courthouse square and Whiskey Row.

Weather Guesser sez.
Fri
May 30 Mostly Sunny 78° 52° Mostly Sunny Chance of rain:10% Wind:S at 13 mph
Sat
May 31 Sunny 79° 51° Sunny Chance of rain:0% Wind:S at 15 mph
Sun
Jun 1 Sunny 80° 47° Sunny Chance of rain:0% Wind:S at 12 mph

Weather Guesser sez.
Fri
May 30 Mostly Sunny 78° 52° Mostly Sunny Chance of rain:10% Wind:S at 13 mph
Sat
May 31 Sunny 79° 51° Sunny Chance of rain:0% Wind:S at 15 mph
Sun
Jun 1 Sunny 80° 47° Sunny Chance of rain:0% Wind:S at 12 mph

I'll take it!  Sounds great!  :) :beerchug: >:D

62. Ya'll are killing me. I'll call the caterer again. Love It. SW COG Rocks!  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :)