• Forum Subscribers and COG Members, please be aware of policy changes put into effect due to action of the COG board of directors based on input from members. The new membership system makes it possible to implement these changes.

Forum Subscribers – Forum Subscribers get a six-month limited feature trial forum membership. Forum Subscribers Read the Details Here.

Members – Your full forum access is only in effect while your membership status is active. Members Read the Details Here

• FORUM NAME - If you are a COG Member and your user name does not match your name in the old forum or you just want a new one, you can now change it on your own. Read the Details Here

• *READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * If you are a current COG Member or Forum Subscriber and this is your first visit to our new site and forum, please go to www.concour.org and follow the instructions at the top of the page to activate your account and gain access to your site and forum.
  • READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Death Valley M&G Spring 2020

Looking at a M&G in or around Death Valley Spring of 2020. Anybody in?

• Yes

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Hell no

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • If wildflowers are blooming

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wandrng

Just a nerd who rides
Cali Cruiser said:
And ride again we shall Mr Keith!
So looking forward to this. Missed too many last year. And was deprived of the glorious eats as described by all the lucky attendees.

Thank you for stepping up for this once again!

SW riding the curves again.

troymba

Moped
WANDRNG said:
Cali Cruiser said:
So looking forward to this. Missed too many last year. And was deprived of the glorious eats as described by all the lucky attendees.

Yessir- happy to do it and glad you can make it.

OMoaC

WANDRNG said:
Cali Cruiser said:

:beerchug: :great: :motonoises: :)

Wandrng

Just a nerd who rides
Please take a moment to register for this event on COG

It helps us get a head count for food and reservations and important stuff

This event is free and open to everyone - registering costs nothing

Register Here

troymba

Moped
Nottacop said:
Ted and I are booked. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Can’t wait to try Archers Swine. As Caffineman said; I’d call the place to reserve. Nice people. Cheers!

Welp- here we go again 😂😂😂 It pleases me to no end that you are coming- it’s on!

CaffeineMan

In the shadow of the Valley of Death
Thanks for putting it on the calendar Keith.  I signed up with 2 guests (my roommates).  I'm providing water (4 cases) and my friends will be bringing a side dish.  Possibly also an airpot of coffee on Sat. morning.  Depending on who wakes up when.  ;D

ETA:  I'm bringing a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon.

OMoaC

Suggested Sat route. Gas in Shoshone and should be good for the entire loop. Gas is also available in Furnace Creek (stoopid expensive). Historic sites are the remains of the Ashford mill site. Artists loop is a nice one way speed limited road through some really panoramic terrain colors. Bad water is the lowest point in the Continental US some 200 odd feet below sea level. You can stop and walk out to the lake bed. Look up at the cliffs to the east. You will be up there soon. At the intersection you can turn left into Furnace Creek village for lunch. I suggest the burger at the golf course. Just a bit further is the Borax Mill site. Interesting walk about. Do Not Miss Dantes view. A really fun road where you will see the temps drop by 20 degrees and make some serious altitude gain. At the top you will have an unparalleled view of Bad Water. The road, ride and view is awesome. Follow the route down and to Amargosa. Site of the Amargosa Hotel and Opera House. Supposedly the most haunted location in America. Stop for an ice cream. Power back to Rally HQ stopping in Shoshone to stock up on fuel, Water and needed supplies. CU in the mineral springs. https://goo.gl/maps/GVbVXMUWBcwanBog6
C'Man as the local expert thoughts?

CaffeineMan

I guess now is a good time to post these links for wildflower status:

https://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_dv.html

Desert USA wildflower report for Death Valley.  The best site for wildflower status.  It contains photos and reports from people that travel to the area.  It also reposts the absurdly terse, designed to convince you to stay away, official wildflower update from the park itself.

The park wildflower update is below because it has some good background on wildflowers in general:

https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/nature/wildflowers.htm

One caution when reading the NPS site:  it tends to downplay the wildflowers.  In 2016, the year of the superbloom, they were like: not a superbloom nope nothing to see here not a superbloom everyone stay away not a superbloom!  Oh, ok guess its really a superbloom after all...

OMoaC

Old Man on a Connie said:
Suggested Sat route. Gas in Shoshone and should be good for the entire loop. Gas is also available in Furnace Creek (stoopid expensive). Historic sites are the remains of the Ashford mill site. Artists loop is a nice one way speed limited road through some really panoramic terrain colors. Bad water is the lowest point in the Continental US some 200 odd feet below sea level. You can stop and walk out to the lake bed. Look up at the cliffs to the east. You will be up there soon. At the intersection you can turn left into Furnace Creek village for lunch. I suggest the burger at the golf course. Just a bit further is the Borax Mill site. Interesting walk about. Do Not Miss Dantes view. A really fun road where you will see the temps drop by 20 degrees and make some serious altitude gain. At the top you will have an unparalleled view of Bad Water. The road, ride and view is awesome. Follow the route down and to Amargosa. Site of the Amargosa Hotel and Opera House. Supposedly the most haunted location in America. Stop for an ice cream. Power back to Rally HQ stopping in Shoshone to stock up on fuel, Water and needed supplies. CU in the mineral springs. https://goo.gl/maps/GVbVXMUWBcwanBog6
C'Man as the local expert thoughts?
I R stoopid. Try this one. https://goo.gl/maps/sS7AJM3nHvgj3PCE8

CaffeineMan

Mark's route is good for maximizing scenery and flowers!

Another route for those that want to go far and fast.  Tecopa to Lone Pine, CA for lunch:

https://goo.gl/maps/uZwsShyEGNsoKctX8

Or you can shorten it up and turn around earlier at either Father Crowley Point or the Death Valley sign (which maximizes twisties) and maybe hit up Panamint Springs for lunch.

troymba

Moped
Be Advised: I now have both of my ECU’s updated by Ivans and will have the loaner unit along with me for those who would like to see how it feels in their bike- it basically works in any C14- just plug it in a ride. You can use it on the trip until the next person wants to try it. Sharing is caring 😂
See ya there!

CaffeineMan

Cali Cruiser said:
Be Advised: I now have both of my ECU’s updated by Ivans and will have the loaner unit along with me for those who would like to see how it feels in their bike- it basically works in any C14- just plug it in a ride. You can use it on the trip until the next person wants to try it. Sharing is caring 😂
See ya there!

Hmm.  I may take you up on that.  In which case I may have to do the Father Crowley Point route to hit the twisties and elevation changes!

troymba

Moped
Hmm.  I may take you up on that.  In which case I may have to do the Father Crowley Point route to hit the twisties and elevation changes!
[/quote]

It’s going to be a great time and yes, plug that thing in !!  A few others are into giving it a whirl so you can all work that out easy enough.

CaffeineMan

Here's another site-seeing option, added on to Mark's route:

After hitting up Furnace Creek, head north, take the Beatty cutoff, and hit up the Rhyolite mining ghost town.  It's got a cool old railroad station, other ghost town buildings, and some weird sculptures along the way.  It's just 2-3 miles off the road to Beatty.  Then hit up Beatty for gas and possibly lunch.  The place I usually ate at has changed hands and the reviews aren't as good, but you can try Gema's cafe, or hit up the Happy Burro Chili and Beer.  Chili is pretty good.  Or just munch on candy at the Death Valley Nut and Candy Company at Eddie World gas station.

Or if you don't want to go that far, head towards Beatty, but stop at the rest area up the hill where Beatty Cutoff intersects with Daylight Pass Rd. and admire the view back down towards Death Valley.  Or stop here on your way back from Beatty.

Then head back down the way you came to Furnace Creek, then up to Dante's View, following Mark's route.

https://goo.gl/maps/E4zNZjwTnUNw4JyX7

Keep in mind that the park rangers have radar and are on the lookout and the CHP patrols the main road through the park as it's a state highway, CA-190.  CHP likes to sit on CA-190 coming out of DV running downhill to Death Valley Junction.  Alas, I have firsthand knowledge of this.  I find it helpful to sing the chorus of that old Motown tune as I ride along:

"...nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide..."  ;D

Attention Troy:  there is no Isle of Death Valley unless you wanna go all the way to Lone Pine.  :rotflmao:

OMoaC

That run from Panamint springs to the park entrance sign is AWESOME. Highly recommenced for those that want to stretch the day. Also a good entry point for those coming in from the North/North west. Like the million dollar hwy in CO without trees and a dried up river. No guard rails, sweet 180 degree cutbacks, amazing views. Serious elevation changes. If your lucky you may see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiAW6u4Yt1w  Follow up for C man on the Po Po. Speed limit in the park IIRC is a laggardly 50mph. 60 is usually accepted, 65 will get you a look. The good news is if you get pulled by the park Rangers the fine goes to park charities and there are no points as it is fed land. CHP all rules apply. Watch for Euro tourists stopped in the road to take pic's. In the majority of the park there is no cell service. Fuel is available in Panamint springs, Stovepipe wells and Furnace creek.

CaffeineMan

Speed limits:

Tecopa to Shoshone:  60

Shoshone on CA-178 into the park over Salsbury pass and part way down the hill:  65

From there to Furnace Creek:  45!  With a stretch of 55.

Furnace Creek to Stovepipe Wells:  60.

Stovepipe Wells all the way to US-395:  65

Furnace Creek to Death Valley Junction and back to Shoshone:  65

Also FYI the gas at Stovepipe Wells is only 87 octane.

OMoaC

CaffeineMan said:
Speed limits:

Shoshone on CA-178 into the park over Salsbury pass and part way down the hill:  65

There ya go from boots on the ground.  :beerchug:

troymba

Moped
CaffeineMan said:
Speed limits:

Russ shouldn’t go....

troymba

Moped
redline said:
he'll need some caffein when he gets there ... ft.worth to death valley

I’m a Dr., I’ll administer the necessary vodka treatments as needed until the patient is once again responsive.

CaffeineMan

Cali Cruiser said:
Nottacop said:
That would be incredible! I can’t wait to see this area.

It’ll probably be 130 degrees out just for us 😂

June 2013.  7 years and 40 pounds ago.  :rotflmao:

Attachments

• Death Valley 131 small.jpg
    Death Valley 131 small.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 20

CaffeineMan

Gscott said:
Cman isn't that where that plane hit a couple of months ago, pilot killed several onlookers injured?

You mean Star Wars Canyon?  I hadn’t heard that.  But I don’t have TV so I’m kinda out of the loop unless it’s the weather.

OMoaC

CaffeineMan said:
Gscott said:
Cman isn't that where that plane hit a couple of months ago, pilot killed several onlookers injured?

You mean Star Wars Canyon?  I hadn’t heard that.  But I don’t have TV so I’m kinda out of the loop unless it’s the weather.
Just the pilot. No observers injured. There's a photo out there of the hole it left.

Gscott

09 C14
Cman the crash I posted about was at star wars canyon. Off on the date, happened last July.
Oldman on this one pilot killed seven onlookers injured none seriously 

OMoaC

Gscott said:
Cman the crash I posted about was at star wars canyon. Off on the date, happened last July.
Interesting. Had never seen that one. Got a linky?

troymba

Moped
Old Man on a Connie said:
Gscott said:
Interesting. Had never seen that one. Got a linky?

As much as I’d hope to be sure I’m not but this may be the link you seek- if not I look forward to seeing you there soon!  https://youtu.be/K4WEi7y6OWs

FTB530

So i really want to make this ride , but not sure if i can yet, havent registered or bought a room, are there even any rooms left or did any one rent out the houses or cottages have room for one more, if you do i will pitch in on the room cost, if i Dont make it ill pay my share anyway!

Nottacop

(In reference for the YouTube link above) (clear YouTube history before going to work!)
Oh, by the way I had an interesting surprise during our meeting at work this morning. When I plugged in my phone to the projector to go over a safety video off YouTube, the guys and I had a good laugh starring at “Stripper in Death Valley!” Needless to say there was a lot of explaining to do. Lol!

HeavyRotation

Mini Bike
FTB530 said:
So i really want to make this ride , but not sure if i can yet, havent registered or bought a room, are there even any rooms left or did any one rent out the houses or cottages have room for one more, if you do i will pitch in on the room cost, if i Dont make it ill pay my share anyway!
I rented a cottage that says 4 adult occupancy for myself, so should be a whole room or pullout available. Not really sure what the configuration is but you're welcome.

FTB530

HeavyRotation said:
FTB530 said:
I rented a cottage that says 4 adult occupancy for myself, so should be a whole room or pullout available. Not really sure what the configuration is but you're welcome.
Pm me some info on price please.

Daboo

Staff member
I've been telling people I'm riding to Death Valley ...all for a barbecue.  Looking forward to it.

Chris