• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Engine Heat

mattgarr57

Bicycle
Industry Vendor
What year, if there is such a model year improvement, addresses the issue of getting or reducing the engine heat away from the rider's crotch and legs?  I saw someone say an improvement came in 2011?  Was there also another in 2014?  I had a 1100xx and it rode hot.  I now have a ST1100 and it's pretty good actually.  I chose a used ST1100 over a used ST1300 primarily due to the bad engine heat reputation of the ST1300.  I am still interested in the Concours and have been looking around.

syxxphive

2010 is when they made a change to the fairings. That said, I had Ivan flash my 08, which used to run really hot, and it’s so much cooler now. Fan doesn’t come on as often nor as long. Even in high heat, it runs a full bar cooler than it used to.

KretonsLC

This is my first summer with my '12 Connie and we've already hit triple digits.  So far so good with absolutely no heat roasting my lower extremities, even in stop-and-go. 

HeavyRotation

Mini Bike
My 09 absolutely roasted me in traffic today. 95F outside, my little dash thermometer got to 120 once the fan kicked on and started blowing the super heated engine air up on me. I think it's getting the Stevie flash asap. Also, this bike is bone stock and while it makes terrific midrange surge @4-8k it feels to really flatten above 8k though it does keep pulling. Is that normal for a stocker?

Tundra

Road Bike
Forum Subscriber
My ST1300 was an absolute nut roaster. I tried every heat mitigation modification and sold it in just two months, it robbed me of my joy of riding. Early model Concours 1400's have heat issues although not as bad as the ST1300. 2010 Concours1400 and up have been greatly improved. Heat from bike is a non issue for me, just the Florida heat.

syxxphive

HeavyRotation said:
My 09 absolutely roasted me in traffic today. 95F outside, my little dash thermometer got to 120 once the fan kicked on and started blowing the super heated engine air up on me. I think it's getting the Stevie flash asap. Also, this bike is bone stock and while it makes terrific midrange surge @4-8k it feels to really flatten above 8k though it does keep pulling. Is that normal for a stocker?

Yes. Absolutely normal for a stock bike. Guaranteed it’ll run cooler after flashing. Ivan’s tune is fantastic. I can’t say much about Steve’s due to very limited experience with it, but you can’t go wrong either way.

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor
There's some heat dams under the tank on the 08/ 9's that will help keep some of the heat from getting up in the crotch area. Sometimes during servicing they can be dislodged or removed and the heat gets up there. I had an 09 and it was missing those dams when I bought it. I tried adding the foam lower dams from ebay, and it pushed all the heat up to spew out around the edges of the tank. Can you sing "roasting chestnuts by the fire"?
Steve

Bagger John

Moped
Forum Subscriber
The hot '08-'09 cockpit isn't a bug...it's a feature.

I have an '08 ABS which is set up for cool to downright cold (0F or lower) days, and my '12 is set up for cool to hot three-season riding when I don't feel like getting my cruisers drenched in a downpour. Which Ahia seems to have a lot of lately.  :mad:

The wind protection and cockpit heat on the '08 makes near-zero riding doable, even with just a set of chaps over pants...or a non-heated riding suit. I do have hookups for heated pants liners and a seat heater on both bikes, should I need them.

mattgarr57

Bicycle
Industry Vendor
Thanks for the replies.  So they did some fairing redesign in 2010 that helped the heat.  Were there any further improvements to improve rider heat after 2010?  I am looking around and just want to be looking at the correct model years.  I saw Tundra's comment on the ST1300, and it does have a reputation for riding hot.  I currently have a ST1100 and I bought it over a ST1300 for that very reason.  I had a Honda Blackbird not long ago and that mutha would get hot. 

A Really basic question, but what's the story on Ivan's flash?  Exactly what is it? 

syxxphive

MATTGARR57 said:
Thanks for the replies.  So they did some fairing redesign in 2010 that helped the heat.  Were there any further improvements to improve rider heat after 2010?  I am looking around and just want to be looking at the correct model years.  I saw Tundra's comment on the ST1300, and it does have a reputation for riding hot.  I currently have a ST1100 and I bought it over a ST1300 for that very reason.  I had a Honda Blackbird not long ago and that mutha would get hot. 

A Really basic question, but what's the story on Ivan's flash?  Exactly what is it?

Ivan’s flash— pull out the ECU, send it to him. He reprograms the fuel maps and sends it back. Instant smiles. Bike runs smoother, cooler, far better low speed manners, and smooth, predictable, and copious amounts of power everywhere in the rev range.

HeavyRotation

Mini Bike
So a full system that ditches the cat and a Shoodaben flash will help out, yes? It wasn't even hot today (75F) but i dualsported the 09 for about 300 miles and on the longer gravel sections just tooling in 3rd it roasted my nootsek pretty bad. Love the bike, just needs better off/on fueling, less top end restriction and some heat mitigation. Should i wait to install the full Del system until you've had time to mess with it or will the MRP be pretty close? Thanks.

Bud

Can't comment on a flash helping with heat.  Steve mentioned the heat dams.  I would make sure that all of those were in place.  Some of us are of the opinion that good riding gear can insulate you from all of that heat.  There should be plenty of threads discussing how to deal with unwanted heat.  Here ya go.  Should keep you busy reading for a while.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforum.cog-online.org+C14+heat&oq=site%3Aforum.cog-online.org+C14+heat&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.32989j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

livinon2wheels

And this from a long time COG member.
http://forum.cog-online.org/shoodaben-engineering/about-shoodaben-engineering-and-my-services/
Steve's work is highly regarded among the COG membership.
I just got my reflashed ECU back from Steve about a week ago, and after putting some miles on it to evaluate it, it is truly amazing...it runs now like it should have when the bike was new. Much better low speed smoothness, better power and better fuel economy to boot. With conservative riding on VA conservative back roads (lol) its pretty easy to get a real 50 mpg out of it. If you ride it like you stole it, its still mid 40s. Steve does nice work and is patient and explains things well. Very good guy to deal with. Money well spent for sure.

zarticus

I just got my reflashed ECU back from Steve about a week ago, and after putting some miles on it to evaluate it, it is truly amazing...it runs now like it should have when the bike was new. Much better low speed smoothness, better power and better fuel economy to boot. With conservative riding on VA conservative back roads (lol) its pretty easy to get a real 50 mpg out of it. If you ride it like you stole it, its still mid 40s. Steve does nice work and is patient and explains things well. Very good guy to deal with. Money well spent for sure.
Steve is a GREAT guy & does top notch work. I have his "Hammer" flash on my 2012 & it is incredible !.

maverick9611

“tryin not to get old”
So a full system that ditches the cat and a Shoodaben flash will help out, yes? It wasn't even hot today (75F) but i dualsported the 09 for about 300 miles and on the longer gravel sections just tooling in 3rd it roasted my nootsek pretty bad. Love the bike, just needs better off/on fueling, less top end restriction and some heat mitigation. Should i wait to install the full Del system until you've had time to mess with it or will the MRP be pretty close? Thanks.
read black widow and aftermarket header thread. your connie will ❤️ it. flashing a must. i don’t get into who’s the best. do your research. i use ivan’s.

Attachments

• C9DBB210-F575-4972-B3FD-FE46C466F56F.jpeg
    C9DBB210-F575-4972-B3FD-FE46C466F56F.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 6

texas.devops902

I've noticed my temps have come WAY down after getting Shoodaben's Mountain Runner Premium flash. And when I'm stuck in stop-and-go traffic it'll heat up like any other combustion engine but cools off far quicker than stock. Before the flash I had the temp hit the top even though outdoor temps were in the 60's. Now I get one bar above the mid-tick on the gauge at long stop lights on super hot days. Vast improvement IMO.

livinon2wheels

And this from a long time COG member.
http://forum.cog-online.org/shoodaben-engineering/about-shoodaben-engineering-and-my-services/
Steve's work is highly regarded among the COG membership.
Can't comment on a flash helping with heat. Steve mentioned the heat dams. I would make sure that all of those were in place. Some of us are of the opinion that good riding gear can insulate you from all of that heat. There should be plenty of threads discussing how to deal with unwanted heat. Here ya go. Should keep you busy reading for a while.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...9i57j69i58.32989j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I have had some trouble with heating up in traffic but even on a long road ride at highway speeds (60-80) the heat from lower part of the fairing is mighty distracting in hot weather. So after not really finding any solutions here that I was willing to buy into, I decided to do some homebrew engineering and see if I couldn't mitigate the problem enough to make it so I could actually ride in hot weather if I wanted to. The first stop was my local home depot where I found 2 inch thick heat shield styrofoam in a 24" square size suitable for carving up to fit in the open space inside the fairing. I started with the left side and just cut a piece I thought was slightly too large and began cutting it down and testing for fit...yeah its slow and its an iterative process that wont yield perfection by any means. And in its current form doesnt look all that great, but I only pulled one screw, the one near the top of the fairing next to the tank. I have only ridden the bike once in hot dry weather since the left side modification but it seems to have reduced the heat quite a bit on that side. If the heating problem causing you enough grief, this is a project well worth pursuing. In my case it removed me from the bike for well over two weeks while the heat rash healed up. Sufficient motivation for me for sure. This week it has rained every day with forecasted rain thru the weekend so no more hot day rides in the short term. I hope for better next week. I am not at all sure how to post photos here to show what was done...but like I said it isnt pretty but is effective. And very cheap to implement.

I am intending on cutting a piece for the right side of the bike and once I determine if I am happy with the results overall or not will try to figure out a way to make something that meets some appearance standards. Like painting the new shields black so they blend in with whats inside the fairing and also making a once piece shield that could be installed or removed relatively easily depending what time of the year you are riding. The motivation to solve this in a way that costs me time more than money is there. And if when I am done, I end up with something that can be duplicated, I would like to share that with the group.