• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Re: What did You Do to your C-10 Today?

Well I've got new rubber on the coolant system in the rear, and new thermostat. Have to do the front end, which will be less fun and more work, but we're about halfway there. Hopefully I'll have some motivation this week to finish the hose and o-ring replacement, because the carbs are due back from steve most likely. Still need to pull out the airbox and do the fix on that because I'm already in there. I think I also need to go ahead and order a new petcock. Already doing all the stuff in a preemptive manner, so why not do the petcock.

Bought my '94 C10 new and I know I have replaced the petcock at "least" once. Just don't like to wait until things fail at a bad time!!  :'(

I did the same thing.  A new petcock.  Then I got the OEM rebuild kit, and rebuilt the old one as a spare.

Was given 2000 c-10 has 16000 miles not neen rin in 2 yrs idles great won t take gas.rode all kinds of bikes but never one of these. Just good carb clean and go from there try bring back to life i guess

Here is some video resources from our BEST resource. Steve in Sunny Florida!! :great:

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/video-resources

Good place to start and a few others will have some suggestions . :)

Wiped some of the dirt off it and checked the tire pressure.  Then went for a 175 mile ride to Petit Jean State Park...beautiful!

Mettler1 said:
CRocker said:
Wiped some of the dirt off it and checked the tire pressure.  Then went for a 175 mile ride to Petit Jean State Park...beautiful!

BASTARD!!!!!!!! :'(

Forgot to mention that I swatted a couple of mosquitoes, too... :rotflmao:

cleaned the windshield so I could take a pic of it.  :))

Attachments

• 27858874_164469854202998_5763569787007826542_n.jpg
    27858874_164469854202998_5763569787007826542_n.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 128
Looked at it lovingly as I hooked up the battery tender once again  :(

This winter's been ugly. Last two days, temps in the 60's but constant hard rain... now, there's ice in the forecast  ::)

Temps in the 70's.  Rode to Owensboro, KY to get something from home depot.  Quite windy it was. :motonoises:

Over the weekend I got the remainder of the coolant system rubber replaced. PITA that is.... Carbs came in, but I was also waiting for a new petcock from murph. I gotta figure where I can dump the gas but I'm going to shake and rinse the tank as a preventative measure that's widely suggested here. Hoping to get that wrapped up by next weekend.

Got a bug up my butt yesterday to finish maintenance that I've been working on. Got the airbox 'fix' done, and spray painted, got the airbox and carbs reinstalled, filled up the coolant system with water (for testing purposes) and she started. I have a water leak though, I think the rear coolant log...which is annoying. I had pulled the rear log last week because I felt that there was some grit on the oring when I reinstalled it. I pulled it, cleaned it, and reinstalled.....thinking that I hadn't started the motor yet, I thought for sure it would be fine and not leak. I was wrong. Sooooo, out come the carbs again. Thankfully I think they come out far enough where I don't have remove the cables, which is good. Because that is maddening getting them reconnected.

Rode it to Work!

After waiting through months of Snow and Rain, and a very Windy Sunday, the streets have shed most of their salty skin.

Temperature at Takeoff - 29 degrees F

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 127
  • bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 121
Got my J box back from Larry Buck and got it in
Waiting on the trunk  It should be here tomorrow or Wednesday

Fine tuned the 2 minute jet kit.  If you are on the fence about sending your carbs for a Florida spa treatment, do it, it is amazing!

So after my second pull of the coolant logs, it was leaking AGAIN! GRRRRRR. So I removed the bolts on the log while leaving the carbs in, removed, and circled the right side ring with a pick to make sure it wasnt binding up again on something, and reinstalled. Lo and behold, no more leak. No way to explain that away, but I put her back together and took her for a dinner ride last night.

No extra parts either!!

I did fix all the tip over bar mounts, but did not reinstall them. I going to strip off the plastidip and repray with bedliner or something. I'll ride it for a little bit then do the annual oil change. Now having the spin on oil filter kit, I may actually cut down the belly ban so I can do oil changes without removing it. :)

Got up to 54 degrees today. Went out to the garage and gave it a hug. Made me feel good. :motonoises: :motonoises:

Derick said:
So after my second pull of the coolant logs, it was leaking AGAIN! GRRRRRR. So I removed the bolts on the log while leaving the carbs in, removed, and circled the right side ring with a pick to make sure it wasnt binding up again on something, and reinstalled. Lo and behold, no more leak. No way to explain that away, but I put her back together and took her for a dinner ride last night.

My daddy would've said you weren't "holding your mouth right" the first time.  ;D

I rode it!

Temps weren't great, but the rain has held off for several days and the mushy yard has dried out a little. Key word - little. Still wanted to sink and slog along, but made it out to the street, and back without dropping it.

Calling for more rain, on and off, for the rest of the week. if any bike leaves the garage, it'll be the KLR.

From 2 weeks ago:

mush1-L.jpg

mush2-L.jpg

Radar said:
Removed tank, removed coils, removed carbs.

Preparing to check for fubared connecting rods from my hydrolock

Were you prepping to do a carb job? you dont need to pull the carbs just to check for a bent rod.

I got my broken motor mount replaced. I had to add a 0.050" washer to the left side after I installed the right side. Installed the radiator and filled with water. Yes it leaked. I had cut a seal on the front log during installation. The radiator came back out and I was able to put the extra o-ring from Murphs' kit in (Thanks Murph for including an extra one). Back together taking greater care to make sure the o-rings got seated in the head. Water, fuel, choke, key on and push the starter button. Fired right up. I used a syringe to feed the fuel and kept refilling until I got it up to temp and the fan cycled a couple of times. No leak this time. I still need to drain the water and add anti-freeze and put on the tupperware.

Thanks to SISF (carb work) and Murphs' Kits (C10 Parts and more)

JPD said:
I got my broken motor mount replaced. I had to add a 0.050" washer to the left side after I installed the right side. Installed the radiator and filled with water. Yes it leaked. I had cut a seal on the front log during installation. The radiator came back out and I was able to put the extra o-ring from Murphs' kit in (Thanks Murph for including an extra one). Back together taking greater care to make sure the o-rings got seated in the head. Water, fuel, choke, key on and push the starter button. Fired right up. I used a syringe to feed the fuel and kept refilling until I got it up to temp and the fan cycled a couple of times. No leak this time. I still need to drain the water and add anti-freeze and put on the tupperware.

Thanks to SISF (carb work) and Murphs' Kits (C10 Parts and more)

Huzzah! We both finished at about the same time, and encountered similar problems haha.

I took mine out today for a breakfast ride, trying to run it as low on gas as I could. Had some older (though filtered and treated) gas that I wanted to run out. I had washed the tank, and run heet through it to dry out  the water, but I wanted all the badness gone. New petcock, and newly serviced carbs demand good fuel. Filled up with 93 octane and then we'll be back to status quo on regular gas after this tank empties later this week.

Derick, I had to share that you were not the only one to have leaks the first attempt.
Yesterday I got the tank petcock rebuilt, fuel level sensor resistor, and the tank reinstalled. I checked the fuel guage indications when the run position is out now that I have the resistor in the system. Replaced the leaking seal on the balancer shaft and adjusted the balancer. Removed the front wheel and checked the bearings and installed a new Avon St tire. The rear will have to wait until next weekend. Then fine tune the 2 min jet kit. 

My concern is that I have a fuel leak out of the overflow tube. Checked with steve, he said he leak checks them before he sends them out, which I believe.....but I also have a brand new petcock on there... :\

Rode my C10 for the first time since carb rebuild, valve adjustment, WP seal replacement, new coolant hoses, thermostat, rear coolant log orings and airbox repair. No leaks. It ran the best it has since last May, when I first purchased it.
  I also added the resistor to the fuel gauge and did the free power mod.
  This weekend I'll be bleeding the clutch and synching the carbs. Then test ride one more time and check for leaks and snug up all hose clamps before putting the rest of the plastic back on.
  Thank you Steve for your work on carbs and your videos and thank you Wizard for the resistor.

Ride safe
  Rideez

bringing back an old one......last night I replace the pads, well sorry metal plate with a sliver of pad left on it...Monday I'm pulling the front end apart to adjust steering head bearing and while I'm there replace fork oil.

On Wednesday I rode the Concours over the North Cascades Hwy.(Hwy 20) to Winthrop for lunch at Carlos 1800 Cantina. It is 156 miles one way from my house. I went with my brother on his C-14. The weather was perfect, the traffic was light both ways with only a few Hardley's to pass. My chicken strips on the front tire are down to about 3/16" after the ride. :) My brother said my bags were almost dragging on some of the tight corners. I just love having one of the best riding roads in the country right in my back yard. :beerchug:

Removed most of fairing to check valve clearance. Removed valve cover only to find spalled intake lobes on  #2 and #4 cylinders.  :'( Crap!  Pondering next step.  Hope tomorrow is a better day.

GW said:
  Removed most of fairing to check valve clearance. Removed valve cover only to find spalled intake lobes on  #2 and #4 cylinders.  :'( Crap!  Pondering next step.  Hope tomorrow is a better day.

A cam and follower change is easy from where you are now. I did mine for the same reason last year. I got torque cams and a used follower from Steve and now the bike runs the mountains really well. :)

Kelly E said:
GW said:

A cam and follower change is easy from where you are now. I did mine for the same reason last year. I got torque cams and a used follower from Steve and now the bike runs the mountains really well. :)

Thanks for that, I need a bit of cheering up today.  I looked at Steve's torque cams which are a great idea, but they just aren't in the budget right now.  It may just have to set awhile until funding improves a bit. Has anyone priced a stock intake cam lately? ( I'm afraid to check!) :)

GW I have lived with pitted cams, slightly pitted is not abnormal. Known problem on these bikes. Mine doesn’t go all the way across the width of the cam so the follower doesn’t get interrupted by the pits.
Post a picture of them.

Per request. Not great photos, I took about 20 to get 3-4 decent shots. What concerns me most is the pitting/spalling depth and the fact that it extends to the edge of the cam surface.  Your thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• DSCN0789.JPG
    DSCN0789.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 148
After changing the oil in the wifes Tahoe I pulled the C-10 out of the barn in to the driveway next to the C-14 to wash them both. Stood back and looked at it and decided I would take it and fuel it after it's bath and maybe ride it to work tomorrow.

Kelly E said:
I am trying to decide which bike to ride to the Skagit car show, the Concours or the Sabre.  :motonoises:
Looking for heavily biased answers?? 

I'll sayyyyy take the Connie.  ;D

Mcfly said:
Kelly E said:
I am trying to decide which bike to ride to the Skagit car show, the Concours or the Sabre.  :motonoises:
Looking for heavily biased answers?? 

I'll sayyyyy take the Connie.  ;D

Speaking of heavy, I think I will take the Sabre. It is 100+ pounds lighter, has fairing and bags and is easier in the parking lots.

That is normal pitting. I would be concerned about the fact that width of those two spots in the middle if that purple colored areas above them is also pitting are close to taking the full width of the lobe.
I think you should start a new topic so you could get more advice on this subject.

I took a good side view picture of my 87 with the trimmed side fairings.  I had to crop the photo to get it under 350MB with good details.

Attachments

• 2018-07-16 10.50.06.jpg
    2018-07-16 10.50.06.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 127
Bob_C_CT said:
That is normal pitting. I would be concerned about the fact that width of those two spots in the middle if that purple colored areas above them is also pitting are close to taking the full width of the lobe.
I think you should start a new topic so you could get more advice on this subject.

Thanks Bob.  I originally thought only 2 of the lobes had pitting but after rotating the cams, all 4 have it, #1 being even worse!(see pic) I'm going to leave it alone for now until I can fix it right. May end up with Steve's high torque set, but not right now. Hey, at least my photos are getting better! ;) Thanks again for your input on this.

Attachments

• DSCN0794.JPG
    DSCN0794.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 117
Yes that one looks worse. I don’t like the galling in the direction of the follower near the pitting, your follower maybe compromised.
I think it would be worth your while to start a new separate post/topic and include the photos. I believe you would get more views and responses from more knowledgeable people.

Back in March I bought a blue upper fairing on ebay.  It had one clean break at the turn signal.  I had it repaired and painted at Dauby's body shop in Tell City!  Shout out to Grant Dauby for making sure it was all done properly!  Finally got it on the lift and mounted my new beautiful upper fairing and all the other bodywork, including some newly acquired heat shields.  :)

Put both my C-10s up for sale.
Let's face it, I can't ride 3 Connies at the same time, now can I? :(

Replaced the brake and clutch levers.  The pivot screw and master cylinder bushing were worn so those got replaced.  Applied a fresh coating of grease on all the wear points.  No more floppy clutch lever!

Yesterday I fitted my home made LED tail/brake light 'bulb'. Then ordered some LEDs to replace my high-level (trunk) brake lights from Fleabay and ordered tip over bars, a screw set, and some Speed-bleeders from Murphskits. Today fitted the rebuilt rear brake system with a new bracket, lever and a good used caliper. Soon I won't have anything else left to do and will have to start prepping for the respray. :-(

Go on then Ted, I dare ya to come up with something useful to modify the C10 that ain't been done already! <LOL>

Boomer, as you know, I've been tinkering on the old bike lately.
    {mostly because I was bored and just wanted something to tinker on}..  >:D
    Here's the recap.

On my C-10, I ; replaced the rear shock with a C-14 shock and lowering rocker,
                        removed 4" from the front springs to stiffen the front suspension,
                      Found and installed inexpensive cartridge emulators that cost 1/3 the cost of a gold valve,
                        replaced the 150/80-16 belted rear tire with a 180/60-16 radial tire,
                        replaced the 120/70-18 front tire with a 110/80-18 radial.
                        cut the windshield and built an adjustable deflector {similar to MRA Vario design}
                        LED head and tail light bulbs.

The only things I did {that may not have been done by someone else} was; the 180 rear tire, inexpensive emulators, MRA style deflector.

Ride safe, Ted

NOTHING!!!!!    It's 10 degrees and my C10 is on the centerstand with the battery charger plugged in!!!  Full tank of fuel and TCW3 for the winter!! Just waiting for some spring weather!  :)

Installed ZZr 1200 calipers w/SS lines.
Had my carbs totally Shoodabened.
New carb boots and springs.
In the process of:
New fork springs and emulators installation.
Bergman spin on oil filter. (Should have kept the one off of my other Connie) Of course new Amsoil.
Headlight and headlight harness upgrade.
Valve adjustment.
Running lights.
Radiator flush and new coolant.
Have a rear ZZR1200 shock to maybe install, last on list right now. ::)
Replaced the Summer air in my tires with Winter air.
Other odds and ends. :beerchug:

G'Day Guys, sort of feel sorry for those bikes and riders in the shed for those extensive period of times. Down here we can ride pretty much all year round.....thousands of kms to do, places to go.......hope your Spring comes around soon. Ride safe and keep those mods coming.

I rebuilt the rear brake caliper, installed the new line, refilled and bled. I also took apart the front master cylinder and cleaned it out along with the right front caliper. I got the master back together so tomorrow I will pull the left caliper, rebuild both of them and reassemble with the new two line system. The front brake was starting to get squishy feeling at the lever so it was time to install all of the new parts I had been collecting. I rebuilt the clutch system with a new line last year so now I need a new speedometer cable and need to install the straight rear subframe, the stock one is twisted a little bit.

Hope you guys up north are safe in all this cold..
To us southerners, it sounds like it's gone from uncomfortable to a bit dangerous..
Stay warm..

Boomer asked for things to tinker on, and then nothing.
Do ya'll think we overwhelmed him with suggestion's?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Hope you guys up north are safe in all this cold..
To us southerners, it sounds like it's gone from uncomfortable to a bit dangerous..
Stay warm..

Do ya'll think we overwhelmed him?

Ride safe, Ted

I started test fitting and measuring out Connie's new spot in the upcoming
Garage 2.0 upgrade.  Should be nice when it's all done.

Let's review that whole global warming thing....  ;) 

High of 60*F in Florida?  I've got neighbors ordering snow blowers!

I might have broke my C10.  Details in another thread.
Meanwhile, and I'm not saying I have a valid theory about Global Warming, I think our earth can be proportioned to a beer can where New York City is on the edge between the side and the top.  The top & bottom can be frozen over while the sides are red hot.  At least, it could happen if there weren't any beer inside.  So the solution is to convert fracking rigs into beer injection sites.  QA inspectors needed  :beerchug:
So, what I did in a positive way was start it, ran it, warmed it up & charged the battery some, then the little problem, and I bought a nice compression tester to check it out next opportunity.

I took the the cover off and sat on it and envisioned me riding down to Arkansas to attend the Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous.
;D  :D :))

Finished removing the 4 into 1 and installed the stock exhaust...coolant is cooling down now...it’s going to be mid-60s tomorrow...might be riding...but, there’s all this plastic... :beerchug:

Since we had the start of a short heatwave yesterday, I took the C10 out for a short spin.  Tested out my new to me aerostich roadcrafter one piece suit.  I like it!  :beerchug:

Rode it again!  :motonoises: :motonoises:67 Degrees today.  You never know what you're gonna get around here as far as weather is concerned!  Took the "Real Bud's" 87 out to Derby for a fill up of some "real gas".  $3.35 a gallon today.  It's a beautiful day in southern Indiana!

Bud said:
Rode it again!  :motonoises: :motonoises:67 Degrees today.  You never know what you're gonna get around here as far as weather is concerned!  Took the "Real Bud's" 87 out to Derby for a fill up of some "real gas".  $3.35 a gallon today.  It's a beautiful day in southern Indiana!

I'm paying $2.99 for "real gas" locally.. well worth it tho...
:great: :great: :great: :great:

After my morning run with the C13 I got the C10 out for a short ride and filled it up for commuting this week
72 this afternoon and decent weather predicted thru the week

Changed the front and rear wheel bearings Friday. Sat at home in the rain Saturday, pouting. And finally took her out today to some twisties now that the weather clear up. Smoooooooth. My first time actually taking the ol' gal into Red Rock (the twisties in my backyard that I'm familiar enough to genuinely play with). She's a lot lighter on her feet than I expected  ;D

YTuJ

wYNp

That's a clean looking machine, and the scenery ain't bad either...
What were the temps in that part of the world?
As you get more used to the Connie, she'll even feel better on the road.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
That's a clean looking machine, and the scenery ain't bad either...
What were the temps in that part of the world?
As you get more used to the Connie, she'll even feel better on the road.

Ride safe, Ted

It was about 60 degrees F or so. It's the rainy season in Vegas, so we get sprinkles once a week or so.

The paint need some work. It's just old and weather beaten, so that's on my (increasingly shrinking) list of things to do. Along with suspension, new windscreen, and a new seat.

connie_rider said:
Do ya'll think we overwhelmed him with suggestion's?
Already have a ZZR1200 shock, have cartridge emulators to fit soon, LEDs everywhere, Rifle, Russell, heated grips, Delkevic, full tank bra, braided hoses and Nissin front calipers. What I was looking for was a farkle or idea I've not heard of before. :D

Ran it for a while in the garage to warm up the coolant...and, make sure the leak is coming from the washer under the water pipe drain bolt...sheesh...the only part I didn't replace... :-[

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Tidewater VA. Started it up and let it warm up just to have my son say hey dad your leaking something. Back on the center stand and off comes the plastic. I am getting good at that. I found a leak at the front cooling log. I replaced the seals last spring and thought I would be good for many years.  :mad:

Last year was a bad year for maintenance. I made several mistakes doing basic maintenance and it limited my riding last year. A fuel tank rubber slipped out of place, I didn't notice it until the tank rattled during a ride.
I didn't reinstall the cup washers on my valve cover seals. The old ones were stuck to the old seals and I thought that the seals were just old and hard. That one took 2000 miles to show up. Oil filled a spark plug well then leaked onto the cover and off the side. The brake peddle got slippery. 2nd set of gaskets and it still leaked. My service manual says to install the gasket, cover, and bolts. You have to go back to the removal to have it tell you to remove the bolts and washers. New washers = no leaks.
I rebuilt the petcock with Kaw parts. When I went to take the tank off for the valve cover redo the petcock was stuck open. Fuel everywhere. Drained the tank and installed a new petcock. Now that the old one is out it appears to be working correctly.
The forks leaked on the first ride last year. I managed to break the throttle cable adjuster when I removed the bars to do the forks. Of course I didn't notice it until everything was back together again.

Disappointed in myself I am usually better than this. I guess I was just rushing too much and had too many things working at the same time.  :-[

Good luck getting all ship shape!

Find as an avid (perhaps rabid) DIYer, I learn sometimes from my first try and do better next time. Then on it is a piece of cake!

Unless old age mindlessness, feeble eyes or slippery fingers assist me in doing it thrice!

Keep up the good work.

Lee said:
Good luck getting all ship shape!

Find as an avid (perhaps rabid) DIYer, I learn sometimes from my first try and do better next time. Then on it is a piece of cake!

Unless old age mindlessness, feeble eyes or slippery fingers assist me in doing it thrice!

Keep up the good work.
If it ain't worth doing two or three times, it ain't worth doing it at all!  ;D

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) ;) ;) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

my dad always said.... "practice make perfect... sooner or later..."

I loved that man, he had me working on cars when I was 10... and I never stopped..
he would call people over, and say "look at my son, fixing your car... I taught him everything he knows.." and he felt good about it...

He topped working on cars when they stopped putting mechanical ignition points in the distributors, and called me to "come help me fix this.."

I practiced a lot in my life... still ain't got it "all" perfect, but getting closer...

:great: :great: :great: :great: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :great: :great:

keep up the good work.  :great:

I ordered my Avon am26 roadrider's.  It will be the first time with the 110/80 on the front, I'm anxious to see if I notice the difference.  :-\  It'll probably be awhile until I find out though,  snowy and subzero windchills here today! :mad:

Rideezdale said:
I ordered my Avon am26 roadrider's.  It will be the first time with the 110/80 on the front, I'm anxious to see if I notice the difference.  :-\  It'll probably be awhile until I find out though,  snowy and subzero windchills here today! :mad:
You will love the AM-26's.  I ran them on my C-10 for several years. Great handling and good solid ride.

Jim Snyder said:
Rideezdale said:
You will love the AM-26's.  I ran them on my C-10 for several years. Great handling and good solid ride.

And I'll be able to give you a "live" review at the Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous #6, only 12 weeks away! ;D :motonoises:

Rideezdale said:
Jim Snyder said:
Rideezdale said:

And I'll be able to give you a "live" review at the Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous #6, only 12 weeks away! ;D :motonoises:
Good deal, will see you there. Getting antsy already. Got some surgery the first week of March but gotta be healed up by HMR #6.

Just turned 60,000 miles on my 2000 Kawasaki Concours.
Bought in May 2007 with 35,000 miles when we lived in Maine.
Now almost 12 years later, running strong and still a great bike. Much more of a riding season here in Western North Carolina so the miles should move along at a quicker pace😎

Well we're suppose to get another 10-20 inches of snow in Minneapolis between now and Saturday. No riding in the near future though for comparison sake in 2017 I rode on the 15th of February. No better time than now to do a few things plus I'm just damn bored. Changed the rear shock oil with some Bel-Ray HVI 10w. Also added a diy relay switched accessory fuse panel. The fuse panel distributes power to my headlight and driving lights via their own relay controls. Used a spdt & spst for the headlight switching function and a spst for the driving lights. Got the relays for $11 and the fuse panel for $8. Probably overkill but just needed to spend some time in the garage.

Here a couple of pictures:

Accessory fuse block install on fender below igniter

J-box pin 8 trigger for fuse block

Relay for fuse block installed behind battery box

Fused supply to accessory fuse block via relay

Existing driving lights relay now connected to fuse block rather than directly to battery

Headlight relay mounted to interior of fairing with Scotch all-weather fastners. Used ceramic headlight socket.

My Crysis (92-3 C10) just clicked her auto cam tension-er yesterday, and OMG she sounds good now. I gave her some love trimming away a few mm of hardening foam I recently used to repair a right side broken mirror ball joint.  Then filed a bit of aluminum off a nasty , amateur aluminum foot peg weld job done by yours truly.  Then,  inspecting a black plastic ribbon I had glued on the top right corner of my faring / blinker mount,  became very happy to see it held nicely .  I'm beginning to actually like the hand crafted fixes to Crysis  instigated by her throwing herself on the ground when I was in the house. I'm starting to reconsider actually replacing the foot peg mount since the weld is so,,, "custom", it adds character, contains memories, besides,, chicks dig scars  :great:

Got it all back together after several runs up to the fan cycling to check for coolant leaks. Off to the hardware store for the first ride of the year. 5 miles away but it took 50 mile to do the round trip. Ended by getting stuck in the back yard to put it away in the storage shed. It took both my wife and son to get it moving. Yea we have had a lot of rain.

Attachments

• mud.jpg
    mud.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 127
DangerousDan said:
My Crysis (92-3 C10) just clicked her auto cam tension-er yesterday, and OMG she sounds good now. I gave her some love trimming away a few mm of hardening foam I recently used to repair a right side broken mirror ball joint.  Then filed a bit of aluminum off a nasty , amateur aluminum foot peg weld job done by yours truly.  Then,  inspecting a black plastic ribbon I had glued on the top right corner of my faring / blinker mount,  became very happy to see it held nicely .  I'm beginning to actually like the hand crafted fixes to Crysis  instigated by her throwing herself on the ground when I was in the house. I'm starting to reconsider actually replacing the foot peg mount since the weld is so,,, "custom", it adds character, contains memories, besides,, chicks dig scars  :great:

Dan, grind the pegs {so that they can fold up all the way}.
  That step helps prevent future breaks if the bike falls over.

Ride safe, Ted

It was a nice day so I tried a valve adjustment, hydrolock test, and spark plug change.
I finished after midnight so it counts as today :)
All my valves had less than .13mm clearance before & I believe they are at spec now.
My cams look new, pic attached.  Do you see wear on the tip of the lobe, or is that a shadow?
The hydrolock test was done with an HF depth gauge scribed to 1/64".
It has maybe a 1/128" radius on the base so it's not totally precise, but it worked.
I measured each piston twice and got 2 different depths every time.
Lowest low to the highest high was under .024".
Cylinders 1 & 3 were the highest, in 2 tests each called the other one off by 1/128".
Cylinder 2 was slightly less than .024" lower than the high value for 1 & 3, using the 'worst' numbers (so the check test says it's better).
My math on the combustion chamber volume is coming out different than it did in the thread about Ice Man's parts bike so I'll leave it for another day.

Attachments

• Cams-small-3-16-19.jpg
    Cams-small-3-16-19.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 114
Just came in from dusting and polishing Connie. Going for a ride today with our nice weather. 16 years ago today I bought this bike. Connie has been the longest bike I've owned and the second longest vehicle I've owned. (GMC 22 years) This bike has been trouble free except for two headlamp bulbs. I never include things like brake pads, tires, batteries, air filter, plugs, etc, as I consider these consumables. Lower back willing, I'm hoping for another 16! Lot of fun on the cheap! 

Attachments

• 100_1542.jpg
    100_1542.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 125
Put the fuel tank back on to warm up the oil to drain.
Drained oil and pulled oil cooler as process to remove exhaust header.
Mufflers, radiator and carbs tomorrow. Sure love daylight savings.

First ride today after a LONG winter and first ride with some new farkles and maintenance. For the farkles I installed the Madstad windshield system and a LED headlight. Madstad definitely reduces buffeting and the LED really improved lighting. In terms of maintenance I had changed the read shock fluid and must say it made a significant difference in the general suppleness of the rear suspension. Much more controlled and smooth. Here's to another great riding season!

Was able to tackle removing the radiator, fluid looked nice but installing new anyhow.
Mufflers and one side of the headers came off. Corrosion at mid pipe was worse than I thought.
Have the right side bolt in the rear soaking with PB Blaster. Great stuff.
Upon installation of oil cooler and radiator, I’m going to remove OEM grilles and use some neat stainless grid I was able to rescue  from the renovation of our behavioral health wing.  :-\
Pulled carbs to disassemble and place in my ultrasonic cleaner while the bowls
go to SISF for overflow tubes.
Replacement headers should arrive by end of week from Jet Hot with ceramic
coatings. Pics will follow on those.
Good weekend all the way around

After 6,232 miles the rear Sport Demon was down to the wear bars. Maybe a few more miles left but saw a good deal on the Avon AM26 for $138.29 to my door. Got it mounted and balanced and went for a short spin to scuff it in. Temp was 38 and the roads are still pretty coated with sand. It seemed to have decent enough grip and handling was very predictable. Time will tell on mileage and am looking forward to first rain to see how it does in the wet.

100 plus miles to dinner and back on the '99 yesterday, and picked up a '05 from Millerized today. Man is it well equipped and the extras he through in sealed the deal. He even met me half way and waited for me to get through traffic to meet him. He is one of those people that you stay for.  :great: :great:

Went for a final ride on my well worn PR4GT front tire Saturday in 60 degree weather.
Pulled front rim off yesterday and cleaned it up for a new tire install this week. Pondering wether or not to repaint the ZX11 front rim.
The 3 spokes, hub and ring around air valve are flat black and hide brake dust well. The outer parts of the rim are silver and starting to show their age.