• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

N.E. Spring Fling, 2013

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
@JR...Just need to carry large quantities of "Ranger Candy" on long rides + beer and cigars for the downtime.

OMG I got addicted to black beauties big time. Always carried a packet of them on LRRP.

At least I never got addicted to heroin, I liked the uppers too much.

I just signed up! This is our first event.
I got the room a little cheaper using my AAA membership.Does that affect anything with the club?
We are just doing Saturday, or maybe making it Friday night.
Do you post the ride routes and schedule ahead of time?

Chuck Landis said:
Do you post the ride routes and schedule ahead of time?

Yes...    We hope to have a preliminary sample routes and GPS ZIP file saved in the member library for download within the next month or 2.  This file is updated as new info becomes available or new ride samples are provided by members. For now, check out the list of POINTS OF INTEREST on the rally web page.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=171760#POI

Here's the fine print...
When you download and use any ride, route or GPS files provided, you do so with the understanding that the Concours Owners Group (COG) cannot assume responsibility for your personal safety when using these sample routes. If you choose to use these sample routes you do so voluntarily, based on your own assessment of your abilities, the routes conditions and facilities, and therefore assume all risks. You release and hold harmless COG, its officers, agents and members from any and all injury and/or loss to your person or property that may result from using these routes or participation in this event. You understand that the routes available for for your use as samples of possible routes in the event area. They are provided without any guarantee of accuracy, road quality, or safety. As with any route provided, we recommend following the route on a map first. This way you will have a better idea of where you are going and have more fun doing it. By downloading any of these files from the COG website you acknowledge that you have read and agree to this statement.

Yes, I've got 4 or 5 routes pretty well done.
One will go to Cumberland, Md.
One will be in Central PA around Raystown Lake
Two will go to Flight 93 and then split for either northern return or southern return to bedford.

These will be the recommend Lunch stops for the Flight 93 Ride.

Coal Miners Café, Jennerstown, Pa.
http://www.ourcoalminerscafe.com/

Lamonica’s Restaurant, just south of Jennerstown, Pa.
http://www.lamonicasrestaurantandcatering.com/

BOOK THOSE ROOMS
jason

Routes............

I've got routes laid out to the Flight 93 Memorail, with options to return to Bedford via a north or south route.
I've got a route taking all the little roads south to Cumberland Md to the Crabby Pig.
I've got a long & short loop through central PA
What else do we need?
Gettysburg?
West Virginia?
Suggestions appreciated.
Jason

Made my reservations and ready for a good time.  27 degrees as I type this in NYC......I'm cold just thinking about it LOL :))

27? SI must be like an oasis. I do not think we got out of the single digits today. And I was pretty darn close to SI today. It was about -3F this morning driving into work.  :(

Looking to another event--No campground info needed--I'll be springing for a room--LOL        Rick from Rhode Island

Bedford Speedway, just 2 miles from the rally motel, will have racing on Friday night starting at 7:30.  Admission is only $12.  Sounds like it could be a lot of fun.  Thunder Valley Raceway has racing on Saturday nights and is 25.2 miles away.  I don't know if it would be practical to go there after the banquet.

We have a visit to the Flight 93 Memorial planned for Friday morning, May 17th at 10:00AM.

The memorial is a beautiful 30-40 minute ride from Bedford. There is no cost to visit the memorial and you’ll spend about an hour at the site.

The Park service is asking for an estimated head count. If you think you’ll be attending please indicate that on the registration form where asked.

Thanks,
Jason

gsjay said:
We have a visit to the Flight 93 Memorial planned for Friday morning, May 17th at 10:00AM.

The memorial is a beautiful 30-40 minute ride from Bedford. There is no cost to visit the memorial and you’ll spend about an hour at the site.

The Park service is asking for an estimated head count. If you think you’ll be attending please indicate that on the registration form where asked.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason, I have been to the Flight 93 memorial before it was an actual memorial... just a length of chain link fence with a bunch of pictures and very personal notes from those family and friends who had lost loved ones and had been there prior to me - however - please put me down as attending because I would like to pay my respects again to those brave souls who lost their lives that terrible day, and to see what the Park Service (through donations) has done there.

If you haven't been, it is a humbling place and it will jolt you back into reality for ALL we have to be thankful for in these days and times.

And, that's all I have to say about that.

I was in Bedford this summer and we visited the Flight 93 memorial, too. It's worth the trip.

Still trying to work this trip into my schedule.

Ron

Cap'n Bob said:
JR said:
voileauciel said:
My room is booked, signed up and ready to go. As a bonus, Simon from Ontario will be my roommate! So excited!!!

Hmmm.......  :rotflmao:

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say it.  :))

Meh you know me. I blurt any old thing out and its usually wrong or whatever. But ya I like Simon too, but not that much!

voileauciel said:
My room is booked, signed up and ready to go. As a bonus, Simon from Ontario will be my roommate! So excited!!!

Now now gentlemen...what happens at a COG rally stays at a COG rally....not that there's anything wrong with that..... ;)

Terrynyc said:
voileauciel said:

Now now gentlemen...what happens at a COG rally stays at a COG rally....not that there's anything wrong with that..... ;)

Terry, you know as well as I do that is not true. What happens at COG rally gets broadcast to the world. Unless nobody knows about it.  :rotflmao: :beerchug: :motonoises:

Tim And Trish said:
Without pictures, it didn't happen!

I just want warmer weather to get here, so I can change the oil (finally switching to Amsoil on this bike, engine and shaft), put my new farkles on, wash it good, and go to the Spring Fling.

I might get to go to maybe 3 events total in 2013, so each one is highly anticipated.

As for pictures, those could be arranged.

COG-528 said:
Bedford Speedway, just 2 miles from the rally motel, will have racing on Friday night starting at 7:30.  Admission is only $12.  Sounds like it could be a lot of fun.  Thunder Valley Raceway has racing on Saturday nights and is 25.2 miles away.  I don't know if it would be practical to go there after the banquet.

Mike is  correct, the speedway is just a hop, skip and a jump away and would make for a fun Friday evening.

Lucas Oil Late Models at Bedford Speedway

jason

voileauciel said:
I was just sharing my joy at getting to spend a long weekend with a good friend. Did I miss something here?

:06:

Naw, you didn't miss anything. We just poked some fun at the wording.

I, too, look forward to shaking Simon's hand and catching up on what he has been doing up in that foreign country. Simon was one of the first members who introduced himself when I attended my first COG event, or one of the earliest ones, can't remember exactly.

Actually, I can only speak for myself but it may be true for many others, one of the best things about COG events is the chance to see people again whom you don't see on a daily basis, and maybe haven't seen for some time.

Which is why if I can only do a few events this riding season, the Spring Fling, the summer rally, and the Fall Foliage are looking more and more like my three. Anything else will be serendipity. 

Registration stands at 30.

Lets go, time to get off the fence and register and BOOK THOSE ROOMS.

Who's coming? From Where? I see a couple virgins are attending.................
How about the old Dogs? Gerry?

jason
COG 62

Chuck and Tracy Landis, York pa. First timers. Going to try and get to the hotel Friday morning to go on the Flight 93 Memorial tour.

Chris Franceschini from North Brunswick, NJ! Really looking forward to this, as COG events are the highlight of my year!

Joanne and I just returned from the Coal Miners Cafe and a wonderful Saturday morning brunch!

http://www.ourcoalminerscafe.com/

The Dirty omelet is the bomb! Huge, add some home fries and toast and you've got all day fuel!

The Cafe is one of the suggested lunch stops after visiting the Flight 93 Memorial.

See you soon.
BOOK THOSE ROOMS>
jason

One of the days while we're out there, I really want to ride to Punxsutawney, if only because "Groundhog Day" is one of my favourite films, and I've never been there. There's supposed to be good food there as well, so should be worth the trip, and it's only 90-odd miles from Bedford.

voileauciel said:
One of the days while we're out there, I really want to ride to Punxsutawney, if only because "Groundhog Day" is one of my favourite films, and I've never been there. There's supposed to be good food there as well, so should be worth the trip, and it's only 90-odd miles from Bedford.

I'd like to shake Phil's paw, he predicted an early Spring!  :great:

voileauciel said:

Punxsutawney is nice littel town. They have Fiberglass Groundhog statues all around town painted in different thymes. Somewhere I have a picture of Guy Young and myself standing on the famous Stump at Knobblers Knob. Don't remember why we where there..............
Punsutawney would be a nice ride from Bedford, I can help you with some route suggestions if you want to go.
There is a cool Amish community nearby that is a neat stop too. 
Jason
BOOK THOSE ROOMS

gsjay said:
[There is a cool Amish community nearby that is a neat stop too. 
Jason
BOOK THOSE ROOMS

I bet the Amish just love us riding motorcycles through their community.....

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
No more so than cars, I would think.

My point being they probably wish the cars and bikes both would stay away. Though I suspect they are used to it by now.

We have a big Mennonite community here, they are much more progressive but still suspicious of outsiders, it seems. Wonderful people to do business with though. True to their word and handshake.

gsjay said:
voileauciel said:

Punxsutawney is nice littel town. They have Fiberglass Groundhog statues all around town painted in different thymes. Somewhere I have a picture of Guy Young and myself standing on the famous Stump at Knobblers Knob. Don't remember why we where there..............
Punsutawney would be a nice ride from Bedford, I can help you with some route suggestions if you want to go.
Jason
BOOK THOSE ROOMS

Good stuff Jason! Let's put together some routes up there and make a day out of it.

As I set here and and watch the Blizzard of 2013 dump 1 inch of snow in 8 hours and the Governor wanting to close the roads AND the weather maps showing it will be over at 6pm ,I say to my self WTF. I used this time to book my room and pack my bag! So come on May 16th!

wayne_jenkins_CT said:
As I set here and and watch the Blizzard of 2013 dump 1 inch of snow in 8 hours and the Governor wanting to close the roads AND the weather maps showing it will be over at 6pm ,I say to my self WTF. I used this time to book my room and pack my bag! So come on May 16th!

And I see that we are up to 35 registered members and guest!
Excellant, we're on our way to 100.
jason

voileauciel said:
gsjay said:
voileauciel said:

Jason
BOOK THOSE ROOMS

Good stuff Jason! Let's put together some routes up there and make a day out of it.

A quick look at the map would put this route together.
220 north out of Bedford towards Altoona, Picking up Rt 36 south of Altoona.
36 North right into Punxsutawney.
119 South out of Punxy to Rt 403
403 south through Johnstown to Rt 30
Rt 30 East to Bedford.
Would make a nice ride! Not sure how many miles.......
Somone want to run that through the GPS?
jason

Okay, I'm committed.  Reservation made for three nights in a non-smoking room. 

I'm looking for a roommate.  Your cost for three nights would be $98.43 including tax.  Yes, I snore but isn't that what ear plugs are for.  ::)

Jayson, laid out Rte in MS. About 4:30 and 199 or so miles. let me know if you want it sent to you.

Ground will be broken this summer for the next phase of the Flight 93 National Memorial.

National Park Service Site Deputy Superintendent Keith Newlin told the Flight 93 Advisory Commission on Saturday that the final documents will be ready for contracting no later than March 19.

This phase will include the visitor center, portal walls, overlook, water and sewer lines, a pedestrian bridge over the wetlands and perhaps also the learning center. The estimated cost for this phase is just over $20 million.

“Visitors will see construction this summer,” said commission vice chairwoman Donna Glessner.

National Park Service Site Superintendent Jeff Reinbold said the visitor center will house permanent exhibits and will have a viewing window where people may look down to the site. The learning center will be a multi-purpose building.

“The visitor center will give you your first introduction to the crash site and you will see the surrounding fields and the hillside,” Reinbold said.

Barbara Black, the site’s chief of interpretation for the National Park Service, said the memorial had 318,000 visitors in calendar year 2012. That is compared to 265,000 in 2011. There were 456,000 people who visited from the dedication of the memorial on Sept. 10, 2011, to the end of 2012.

In 2012 there were 1,250 bus groups that toured the site. Unfortunately about only half of the bus groups pre-registered. Pre-registration is available online. Bus groups that pre-register receive a DVD and materials in advance of the visit and pre-registrations ensures that enough volunteers will be on site.

The next volunteer tree plantings are tentatively scheduled for April 19 and 20; and April 26 and 27.

About 23 acres immediately south of the 20 acres planted last year will be reforested with seedlings. Only 600 volunteer slots will be open. The form needed to volunteer will be on the memorial’s website, but it is not yet available.

“In our past experience, college students used GPS on their cellphones to identify their specific trees that they planted to come back to see them in the future,” said commission member Jerry Spangler.

Invasive plants are going to be identified and mapped out, Newlin said. They will be removed by volunteers in the next five or six years.

Also Saturday, a letter of resignation was accepted from Gary Singel, who has been a commission member since the group was formed. The commission voted to send Singel and outgoing Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar letters of thanks. Salazar has been to the memorial seven times as secretary, which is more often than any other national park during his tenure.

The final phase of the memorial construction will be the Tower of Voices, a 93-foot tower containing 40 wind chimes, one for each passenger and crew member. The goal is to have the memorial completed by Sept. 11, 2016.

“We’re almost there, the finish line is there,” said commission member Calvin Wilson. “We just have to cross it.”

gsjay said:

Thanks,
Jason

I won't make it in time for the Friday ride, anyone interested in going over there Saturday?

I think I am going to ride up with Tony Borum, if he leaves when I do. I forgot to mention to him I'm leaving late Thursday morning. No rush, its just a little over an hour away.  :great: :motonoises:

Will be a good test of my left shoulder/arm/hand to see which part of the ulnar nerve is still in need of .... love (?) under the knife.  I'm hoping it all works so no more knife.

Gawd I am so tired of winter, of hurting, of mental and emotional fog, I need to RIDE because its good for the soul !  :motonoises:

I checked in with the motel today to see how many rooms we have booked.

You guys are getting better at booking early!

Thursday 18 rooms booked,
Friday 24 rooms booked,
Saturday 24 rooms booked,

So, as I've been known to say BOOK THOSE ROOMS!
Jason

Just curious: any dual-sport riding to be done out in that area, like gravel roads/fire roads, etc?

I'm looking at possibly buying a Super Ténéré, and would take that for the trip if there's some interesting riding like that out there.

gsjay said:
Tim And Trish said:
Green Ridge State Forrest is all dirt roads and one could get lost in there real easy.

where is Green Ridge State Forest?
jason

Green Ridge State Forest is a state forest in Western Maryland. Approximately 46,000 acres in size, it is situated along Green Ridge and Town Hill in eastern Allegany County.  About 29 miles from Bedford. South on 326.

2011 C14 Rider said:
Right in my back yard. Should be able to attend for a day or two. I work nights and weekends. I see the motel is full.

You have to call the motel to book a room. If you try to do it online it's full because we have rooms blocked.
jason

Just called and booked my room. No mention of the motel being full.

Registered and booked. Now just gotta figure out how I can skip the months of March and April.  I hate winter.... :'(

When I booked my room for three nights 12 days ago, I just used the Travelodge website and got a rate that was significantly lower ($60.76+tax) than the $76+tax listed for our blocked rooms on the rally web page.  I guess that means I may have a room away from the COG block.

Btw, I'm looking for a roommate for the three nights.  See Reply #151 on Page 11 for all the details.

I wondered when you posted for a roommate, their half was pretty low. I thought I was getting a bad deal.

After taxes and whatever else they charge, it's $82 a night

COG-528 said:
When I booked my room for three nights 12 days ago, I just used the Travelodge website and got a rate that was significantly lower ($60.76+tax) than the $76+tax listed for our blocked rooms on the rally web page.  I guess that means I may have a room away from the COG block.

Btw, I'm looking for a roommate for the three nights.  See Reply #151 on Page 11 for all the details.

You are probably right about being away from the group, using the website to reserve. I think you have to call and ask for the COG block to actually get in it, unless you get lucky.  :motonoises:

I must be missing something. We book as a group and it costs us $20 per room more to do so??? :mad:

Not too sure that's such a good deal????????????? :(

Jokes on us I guess  :rotflmao:

Tim And Trish said:
I must be missing something. We book as a group and it costs us $20 per room more to do so??? :mad:

Jokes on us I guess  :rotflmao:

You have a point. Normally the whole purpose of getting a block of rooms is so that they cost less.

When I do my ride to Elkins WV this summer, I have a small block of rooms at the very nice Holiday Inn Express, and the price per room is about $30 less than advertised.

Tim And Trish said:

As consumers, I understand you need to do what you need to do in this situation.  I'm told the rallymeister is seeing what he can do. Please consider a few things before judging too harshly...

When COG got the original block rate (a year ago) and it was posted, no one complained that the rates were too high or an issue. In fact, at the time most felt that rate was very reasonable - especially when it includes a full hot buffet breakfast valued at $7.95 per person. The motel is also providing conference space for the rally check-in and banquet space for the dinner at no additional fee which allowed the rally fee to be frugally priced.

The motel just recently converted to Travelodge branding within the last few months.  The local motel itself did not set or post the special online pricing, and was not aware that Travelodge made them available online.

S Smith said:
Tim And Trish said:

As consumers, I understand you need to do what you need to do in this situation.  I'm told the rallymeister is seeing what he can do. Please consider a few things before judging too harshly...

When COG got the original block rate (a year ago) and it was posted, no one complained that the rates were too high or an issue. In fact, at the time most felt that rate was very reasonable - especially when it includes a full hot buffet breakfast valued at $7.95 per person. The motel is also providing conference space for the rally check-in and banquet space for the dinner at no additional fee which allowed the rally fee to be frugally priced.

The motel just recently converted to Travelodge branding within the last few months.  The local motel itself did not set or post the special online pricing, and was not aware that Travelodge made them available online.

It is customary in these cases to ask the provider (Travelodge) to re-negotiate the group rate downward to reflect current pricing. Nothing negative about that, done in business all the time.

However, its not my job to do it.  ;)

JR said:
S Smith said:
Tim And Trish said:

It is customary in these cases to ask the provider (Travelodge) to re-negotiate the group rate downward to reflect current pricing. Nothing negative about that, done in business all the time.

However, its not my job to do it.  ;)

This is not my first time running a rally. I'm working on it!
jason

S Smith said:
Tim And Trish said:

Knowing Jason, I'm sure he got us the best deal that was available at the time and a very good deal it was.  I was very happily surprised when I found that I could get a better deal online.  But the price I paid does not support the rally getting conference space for the rally check-in and banquet space for the dinner.  I'm sure the cost of those amenities was factored in when they gave Jason the original price.  It may be possible that Jason can renegotiate the COG price but I don't think anyone should complain if the original price stands.

I agree and not complaining, just thought we would get a discounted rate instead of an increased rate. I will be there either way.

Wasn't trying to cause a big stink!

:))

Rate Renegotiated 2/22/13

$69.00 + tax.

Any booked prior will be adjusted.
Internet deal removed. Those that got it, good for them.

Lets get back on topic,

Who's coming?, what rides do you have planned? Anyone have routes to share?
Come on Spring!

Jason
BOOK THOSE ROOMS

$69.00 + tax.

Lets get back on topic,

Come on Spring!

:pDT_Armataz_01_37: :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Didn't doubt ya for a minute Jay!  Now....BOOK THEM ROOMS!!!!!

gsjay said:

$69.00 + tax.

Lets get back on topic,

Come on Spring!

Jason
BOOK THOSE ROOMS

THANKS JASON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The nerve of some people!The next thing he will want us to register before we come.All this planing ahead. I'm so confused!

Jason starts talking about booking rooms a year in advance, I'm a fan of the man. I booked mine about an hour after he said we could.

It may be my only COG event in 2013 :(