• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

N.E. Spring Fling, 2013

Nice article in the Chesapeake Bay Foundation Mag. (CBF.org) on the many covered bridges in and around Bedford, PA.  Just got my copy last night and it includes a map  :)

Ok, I have offically notified both of our suggested lunch stops on Friday, after visiting Flight 93 Memorial that we are coming!

http://ourcoalminerscafe.com/Restaurant.html

http://lamonicasrestaurantandcatering.com/

The routes after flight 93 both proceed to Jennerstown Pa. on route 30. The Coal Miners Cafe is right in town on the right. Lamonicas is just south of town on route 985.

In an effort to not overwhem either restaurant I'm suggesting those following the route north stop at the Coalminers Cafe, those taking the route south stop at Lamonicas.

Yum, Yum............
jason

I don't want to scare anyone but it was snowing in Western Pa. this morning......... :-\

Don't forget the gerbings.

jason

The long range, and most likely unreliable prognostications, call for daytime temps in the 70's and 40's overnight.  :cheer:

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
The long range, and most likely unreliable prognostications, call for daytime temps in the 70's and 40's overnight.  :cheer:

Oh I hope so! I just got these sweet new Alpinestars SM-X boots, and they flow a TON of air. Really looking forward to trying them out at the Fling.

voileauciel said:
Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:

Oh I hope so! I just got these sweet new Alpinestars SM-X boots, and they flow a TON of air. Really looking forward to trying them out at the Fling.

But how many gallons per hour will they flow in the rain?  :rotflmao:

Air boots are a trip in the rain. I was coming home from Arkansas, and it was shrieking hot, and so I had my Sidi Air boots on. When I ran into that torrential downpour just southwest of West Virginia, it was the strangest feeling on my feet. Thank goodness it was like 90 degrees even in the rain.

As I rode out of it, I arrived at my last motel, at sunset. Put the boots on the air condition and they dried fine overnight, since I doubt there is a single ounce of real leather anywhere on them.

BUG SPLAT 50 / 50
BENFIT BEDFORD FIRE
DEPARTMENT
MARTHA & RUSSELL FLEMING
WILL BE AT THE FRONT CANOPY
DRIVE OF THE HOTEL SATURDAY
MORNING BETWEEN 8 & 9:30
SELLING HEADLIGHT TARGETS 2
FOR $5.00 AND ALSO CLEANING
YOUR HEADLIGHT THEN YOU GO
FOR YOUR DAY RIDE AND COME
BACK TO THE HOTEL BETWEEN
3:30 AND 5 TO HAVE YOUR BUG
MEASURED TO HOW CLOSE THEY
ARE TO THE TARGET AND THE
WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT
THE BANQUET

registration is nearing our banquet max of 120 attendees.

We're going to keep registration open, with one of two options avaliable to those registering late.

Depending on discussions tomorrow with the motel late registrants will either be able to enjoy the banquet in a different room or be able to attend the rally without the banquet, at a reduced cost.

So, it you still want to come, come! We'll make room for you one way or another.

jason

XxCAM45xX said:
How many years has the Spring Fli g been held at this location? What has been the highest attendance?

This is the first time at this location.  All the NE rallies tend to float around, although we have some favorite locations that get recycled.  The largest NE rally was Spring Fling mid-2000's in Wellsboro, PA where attendance was 150.

I spoke to the motel this morning concerning our banquet and maxing out the room! Good Problem I guess.....

They can sit 120 comfortably in the banquet room and they can sit overflow across the hall in the restaurant.

So we're going to keep registration open, those registering after 120 will be more than welcome, they just have to eat across the hall. It's like sitting at the kids table for thanksgiving ;D

Once dinner is over we'll all reconvine in the banquet room for doorprizes and awards.

SO, keep them registrations coming.
See you soon,
Jason

I was out and about in Bedford yesterday...........

Secured us some $5.00 off coupons for the mexican rest down the road.

:beerchug:

Jason

Registration is up to 118................

Nice.

We've got room for more so if you can get a room come on down.

jason

I went to the NE Spring Tech day on Saturday and passed my roommate for the Spring Fling numerous times in the garage without even knowing.  If I can do that while at the Spring Fling that will be an unusual accomplishment. :eek:

enjoying the 2nd perfect spring weekend weather in a row here in Western PA....................

It it holds out till Mid May it will make for a perfect weekend.

BOOK THOSE ROOMS>
jason

gsjay said:
enjoying the 2nd perfect spring weekend weather in a row here in Western PA....................

BOOK THOSE ROOMS>
jason

Way to jinx it Jason. Now where did I put that rain gear...? :021:

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
gsjay said:

BOOK THOSE ROOMS>
jason

Way to jinx it Jason. Now where did I put that rain gear...? :021:

:))

At least we have someone to blame, now.  ;)

118 people attending the Spring Fling, that is awesome. Wish I was going to be there.

Jason, don't talk about the weather, k thx.  :rotflmao:

Make that 120!  I just walked my seriously computer illiterate cohost Scott Sorger thru renewing his membership and registering for the rally yesterday...last minute as usual! :-\

Make em sit in the alleyway Jay! :))

Sorger,

Hell, he's gonna be out back with the Alley Cats for sure!

I'm surprised you still associate with guys like him :)

jason

Looks like my roomie can't make it. If there's anyone that wants a room at the last minute, let me know, I'll have a free bed open. Split the cost with me and we're good to go.

OK I have a bed available in my room since Tom can't make it to the rally due to work & I hate when work does that  :'( & anyone want to split the room cost let me know please & see u'll next week & keep it under 100 if u can!!!  ;)

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
S Smith said:
You two previous guys should talk  ::)

:85:
Oh this is going to make for an interesting pair of roommates.  :08:

At this event Karl may finally do his full moon qualification ride for his membership in NANMRA . . . the North America Nude Motorcycle Riders Association.  I wonder if he will be able to talk Chris into going along?
:57:

COG-528 said:
Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
S Smith said:
You two previous guys should talk  ::)

:85:
Oh this is going to make for an interesting pair of roommates.  :08:

At this event Karl may finally do his full moon qualification ride for his membership in NANMRA . . . the North America Nude Motorcycle Riders Association.  I wonder if he will be able to talk Chris into going along?
:57:

Hey, I'm open-minded. I've been to places where this kind of thing looks mild.

Zorlac said:
Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
Zorlac said:
When registrations crest 110 does that automatically insure no rain?
More like guarantee's it...  :rotflmao:
Best I can tell from past experience is that just having the SF guarantees rain.  :-[
Thursday A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 76. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Thursday Night A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Friday Partly sunny, with a high near 75.
Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53.
Saturday A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 77. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Saturday Night A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Sunday A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 76. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Edit: scrap that. The forecast for Bedford has changed since this morning.

Thursday: 73/55, Chance of T-storms, Chance of Precipitation 40%

Friday:    75/46, Chance of T-storms, Chance of Precipitation 40%

Saturday: 81/52, Mostly cloudy, Chance of Precipitation 0%

Sunday:  73/54, Chance of a T-storm, Chance of Precipitation 20%

But truthfully, the forecast actually looks much better than it sounds if you look by the hour. It may be a decent weekend.

I don't know how much the site has changed now that the permanent memorial is in place. But when we visited the site a couple of years ago with the temp memorial. The road going in was not the best road. All dirt/gravel/pot holes. And it wasn't all that short either, being in a large field out in the boonies. So it "might" be hairy and mucky if it's raining. Who knows what it is like now. But it is worth visiting to pay your respects. Anyone been there recently that has a little more input on this?

XxCAM45xX said:
Anybody know if Flight 93 tour is weather permitting?

My attendance for the tour would not be ....

Flight 93 is a go no matter what the weather does.
Road in and parking area's are all paved.
Weather forecast is pretty good other than a chance of thunder storms.
jason

Don't forget to print your own copies of the route sheets..............................

We keep the registration fee low and don't have money waste on printing.

jason

My wife and I stopped in there last summer when we were in Bedford for her class reunion. The memorial is amazingly beautiful and was all paved, concreted, landscaped, etc. If your boots are comfortable for walking, throw your sneakers in. It's not a huge walk from one end to the other, but it's a couple of hundred yards. Worth the effort to visit. I'm not going to make it this year, but ONE year, I'm coming up from GA. Y'all have fun now, ya hear?
Ron

Oh and just to remind everyone.

COG has no group rides............everyone is on their own to travel to the Flight 93 memorial and beyond.......

I told the park to expect us between 10 & 11:30, and the ride is about 40 minutes from the motel. You can tour the memorial at your own pace, some will spend 30 minutes, some more.

Both lunch stops have been advised to expect more traffic than normal so they should be staffed accordingly and I will remind them this week.

Plan your day accordingly.

tks,
jason

After looking at the two Flight 93 loops, I decided to develop a third Flight 93 loop with lunch at the Crabby Pig in Cumberland.  Although the Coal Miners Cafe and Lamonica's sound good I want to visit the Crabby Pig on this trip and this loop accomplishes that for me while allowing me to visit the Flight 93 Memorial.

Flight 93 / Crabby Pig Loop  118 miles 3 hrs 25 mins 

I'll try to make a GPS file of this route available before Thursday but there are no promises.

Attachments

• Flight 93_Crabby Pig Loop Map.jpg
    Flight 93_Crabby Pig Loop Map.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 94
  • Flight 93 - Crabby Pig Loop.gpx
    12.7 KB · Views: 90
COG-528 said:
After looking at the two Flight 93 loops, I decided to develop a third Flight 93 loop with lunch at the Crabby Pig in Cumberland.  Although the Coal Miners Cafe and Lamonica's sound good I want to visit the Crabby Pig on this trip and this loop accomplishes that for me while allowing me to visit the Flight 93 Memorial.

I'll try to make a GPS file of this route available before Thursday but there are no promises.

Mike, the third loop to the Crabby Pig is a nice ride for sure.
The Crabby Pig has also be notified that they may see more traffic than normal this coming weekend.
jason

I'm a rank amateur with a GPS, especially when it comes to importing/exporting files, but managed to get all the posted files loaded up and think we're good. Being a paper map kinda guy, you bet your sweet behind I'll also have those along as well..... JIC.

Looking forward to this, and will see ya'll there.

Boys and Girls..................

The long range weather forecast is looking might fine!

Don't forgot your sunscreen!

jason

Hey Chuck!

I'm thinking of running out along route 30 from either Lancaster or York out to Bedford. Worth the ride along that route or not?

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
Hey Chuck!

I'm thinking of running out along route 30 from either Lancaster or York out to Bedford. Worth the ride along that route or not?

It's not horrible. Definitely gets better west of
Chamberburg.

works4me said:
Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
Hey Chuck!

It's not horrible. Definitely gets better west of
Chamberburg.

Ya what he said.  Lancaster, York and Gettysburg lots of traffic lights and traffic.

When are you coming through?  We are leaveing Friday morning around 6AM taking Rt30 the whole way.

North of York you can hit rt921 to 4002 W. Canal Rd.  to rt234 it will put you on rt30 again missing York and Gettysburg. Nice ride.  Watch your speed through Dover. It's called the Million dollar mile.  ;)

Thanks Chuck and W4M.

I'm riding out on Thursday, leaving Jersey via the PA Turnpike at first light.  Looks like I can take 76 - 83 - 295 - 921 - canal - 234 - 30.  I like it.  :great:

I was out that way not long ago to visit my cousins out in Dillsburg.

We know none of us partake in adult beverages until the machines are parked for the day.

That being said, the motel is asking what kind of 6 packs should it have in it's to go cooler?

Suggestions?

Also, remember we're going to be in PA with all it's weird laws concerning liquor and where it can be purchased and consumed. Motel is requesting no open containers in the parking lot so please bring your favoriate beverage holder.

tks,
jason

OK, let me know the places to buy beer in Bedford since its PA and I'm not used to buying beer at Pizza Hut.

connieklr said:
XxCAM45xX said:
Coors Light!!  :great: :beerchug:

Yuk!

Yuengling Lager, Black & Tan, or their Porter.

When in PA, drink a PA beer!!  :great:
May be there should have been a Yuengling Brewery Tour ride at this event.  It could have even included the Millersburg Ferry in one direction.  I visited the brewery once to take a picture for a passport tour but I've never done the brewery tour and seen the famous caves. 

http://youtu.be/popbS7Y-MvQ

May be I'll try to stop there on my way to Bedford.

Attachments

• Bedford to Yuengling Brewery Ride.jpg
    Bedford to Yuengling Brewery Ride.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Yuengling Brewery to Bedford ride.jpg
    Yuengling Brewery to Bedford ride.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 92
gsjay said:
Also, remember we're going to be in PA with all it's weird laws concerning liquor and where it can be purchased and consumed. Motel is requesting no open containers in the parking lot so please bring your favoriate beverage holder.

tks,
jason

Well that's gonna put a slight damper on things. Never ran into the open container issue in PA before. Do they have and outside area where we can gather with our adult bevs., not in the lot?

Beverage holder? I followed along in class and did all the homework but I am just not following this. ?? Or are you just suggesting discretion being the better part of breaking the rules?

Can we drink in the pool? Do we have to get out of the pool when we have to.... er..... uhm..... nevermind.

This is one of the more interesting things I have found at various COG events in different states- the amazingly different rules on alcohol purchasing / transportation / consumption. Not so much that any of them are so strange, just that they vary so much in different states and in some cases, different counties within one state. The one that always strikes me as odd is the old 'you can't buy beer in a liquor store' one- where I live, all alcoholic beverages are only available in liquor stores and there is no difference between beer, wine or spirits.

Brian

gsjay said:
We know none of us partake in adult beverages until the machines are parked for the day.

That being said, the motel is asking what kind of 6 packs should it have in it's to go cooler?

Suggestions?

tks,
jason

Beverage holder = plastic mug, cup, sippy cup etc.
jason

BDF said:
Beverage holder? I followed along in class and did all the homework but I am just not following this. ?? Or are you just suggesting discretion being the better part of breaking the rules?

Can we drink in the pool? Do we have to get out of the pool when we have to.... er..... uhm..... nevermind.

This is one of the more interesting things I have found at various COG events in different states- the amazingly different rules on alcohol purchasing / transportation / consumption. Not so much that any of them are so strange, just that they vary so much in different states and in some cases, different counties within one state. The one that always strikes me as odd is the old 'you can't buy beer in a liquor store' one- where I live, all alcoholic beverages are only available in liquor stores and there is no difference between beer, wine or spirits.

Brian

gsjay said:

Suggestions?

tks,
jason

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
gsjay said:

tks,
jason

Well that's gonna put a slight damper on things. Never ran into the open container issue in PA before. Do they have and outside area where we can gather with our adult bevs., not in the lot?

We can gather in the lot, no problem. They would just prefer everyone not walking around with a beer can/bottle in their hands. Bring a mug or plastic cup.
Jason

gsjay said:
We can gather in the lot, no problem. They would just prefer everyone not walking around with a beer can/bottle in their hands. Bring a mug or plastic cup.
Jason

:great: Gotcha. Plastic cups it is.  :beerchug:

We'll be bringing a pile of them; in festive colors, yet!

Well I should be headed out early in the AM. I might try to visit the Railroad museum and/or Horseshoe curve on the way down. See y'all there.

We'll be headed out tomorrow AM also. Going to take two days from here. I'm really looking forward to this, my first COG event.

Packed up and ready to go.  :motonoises:

IMG_1272_zps1bb72e45.jpg

Purchased a set of Cee Baily bag liners off the forum from "grumpy".  They arrived today, just in time to pack for the trip.  Time to break the old way and re-learn how to pack.

COG-528 said:

May I join you?
What time are you planning on leaving the motel?

Gotcha'  A little discretion goes a long way and you just don't want to rub anyone's nose in it. Makes perfect sense and thanks for the 'head's up'.

Now I have to practice drinking from a cup while standing.... I usually just scoop the water up out of the river with my hand.  ;D

Brian

gsjay said:
Jason

If you are talking about Steamtown in Scranton, that is a great museum and I'm not even overly interested in trains. I went there to see the Union Pacific 'Big Boy' and ended up spending the day there walking through the exhibits. The Big Boy alone was worth the trip though- how can you not love something that weighs a million and a quarter pounds, burns coal and can reach 80 MPH? You'd probably love all the little doodads they have on display from long ago and most everything is in excellent shape and very well displayed and explained.

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
Well I should be headed out early in the AM. I might try to visit the Railroad museum and/or Horseshoe curve on the way down. See y'all there.

works4me said:
COG-528 said:

May I join you?
Sure, I'd be happy to have the company.  I don't have any particular time in mind for leaving the motel. 

I'm not one of those guys that likes to start at 0-dark-30.  I'm more inclined to end my riding day about then.  I guess it will depend on where & when I get breakfast.  Oh wait the room comes with a Hot Breakfast so I guess that answers the question of where I will be having breakfast. 

We will have to get together and talk on Thursday evening.

BDF said:
If you are talking about Steamtown in Scranton, that is a great museum and I'm not even overly interested in trains. I went there to see the Union Pacific 'Big Boy' and ended up spending the day there walking through the exhibits. The Big Boy alone was worth the trip though- how can you not love something that weighs a million and a quarter pounds, burns coal and can reach 80 MPH? You'd probably love all the little doodads they have on display from long ago and most everything is in excellent shape and very well displayed and explained.

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:

Actually, now that you mentioned it. I was thinking of maybe visiting Steamtown on the way home. I probably should have been clearer when I referred to the museum. But in this case, I was referring to the Altoona Rail Roaders Memorial Museum & the World Famous Horseshoe Curve. (since I'm not down that way too often). Yeah railroad stuff, but I like all the mechanical stuff (trains, planes, cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, machines in general, etc.) 
  Both the museum and horseshoe curve are not all that far from the rally, and pretty much on my way. So I figured what the heck. It's nice to make travel day, more than just travel. I figure that I'll leave here in a couple of hours when dawn arrives. The weather looks pretty good and hopefully the rain will be past by the time I get south west to that area.

http://www.railroadcity.com/altoona_rail_roaders_memorial_museum/index.php

http://www.railroadcity.com/altoona_horseshoe_curve/index.php

COG-528 said:
<snip> 

I'm not one of those guys that likes to start at 0-dark-30.  I'm more inclined to end my riding day about then.  I guess it will depend on where & when I get breakfast.  Oh wait the room comes with a Hot Breakfast so I guess that answers the question of where I will be having breakfast. 

<snip>

:rotflmao:  Oh that's for sure. More like "0" -  12:30PM    :D

Not that it's a bad thing. It just gets you back to the motel (for the beverage socials) much later than the other folks. Again, not a bad thing. Only that most folks get out riding earlier and back before dark. 

Wishing we were going.  Training tommorow at work. Nephew graduating Sunday at University of RI. Oh well alls good.  Everyone have a good time and hoist one or two for me and don't forget the sippy cups. :beerchug:

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
Bedford bound in 5,4,3,2...1. See everyone in a few hours. ok, maybe more than a few.  :motonoises:

Wayne, your going by my house right about --wait for it  wait for it --  NOOOOOW !        If I were at home I would invite you in for a coffee. But I have to work today. 

See yu'all tomorrow morning.

COG-528 said:
works4me said:
COG-528 said:

May I join you?
Sure, I'd be happy to have the company.  I don't have any particular time in mind for leaving the motel. 

We will have to get together and talk on Thursday evening.

I won't be able to make it Thursday evening.
I will be there early enough on Friday to make the ride.
I should arrive between 9 and 10 AM, ready to ride.
Hopefully, we can still head out together. 10 AM departure work for you?

See everyone tomorrow. Ride safe.

I won't be able to make it Thursday evening.
I will be there early enough on Friday to make the ride.
I should arrive between 9 and 10 AM, ready to ride.
Hopefully, we can still head out together. 10 AM departure work for you?

Hey W4M, The flight 93 Mem. tour starts at 10AM at the site. I think everyone wants to leave the hotel by 9-9:30.