• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

N.E. Spring Fling, 2013

Ok, just spent a couple hours reviewing GPS routes and written directions of the same routes for those without GPS.

Will have 5 routes to choose from.

Flt 93 w/ Return Loop north that will give those interested in stopping at the Johnstown Flood Memorial

Flt 93 w/ Return south that will be very nice taking some of my favoriate roads in the area.

Crappy Pig - Cumberland Maryland with routing on some of the best of Southern Bedford county's road. Lunch in Historic Cumberland Maryland with an opportunity to visit the Western Maryland railroad museum.
Central Pa loop centered around Lake Raystown. The largest body of water in the state.

I just shipped the GPS files to Steve for one last review watch for them to be posted tomorrow on the rally webpage.

BOOK THOSE ROOMS.
jason
PS I do have tenative riding plans out to 2015 :) it's a sickness.

JR said:
Jason starts talking about booking rooms a year in advance, I'm a fan of the man. I booked mine about an hour after he said we could.

It may be my only COG event in 2013
:(
What?!?  :-\
You're not going to the
crabbypig(1).JPG
Lunch Ride the Saturday before the Spring Fling?  That is going to be a pretty poor event if not even the host shows up.

gsjay said:
<snip>

BOOK THOSE ROOMS.
jason
PS I do have tenative riding plans out to 2015 :) it's a sickness.
Jason's greatest nightmare is that he will run out of rally ideas :truce: before he dies. 

Like that could ever happen. :D

This would be for Jason, yes, I have booked a room and yes I have registered. I have a friend, might have more than one, that wants to come as a guest but won't know until the last minute , can he sign up at the Fling? He would bunk with me.

wayne_jenkins_CT said:
This would be for Jason, yes, I have booked a room and yes I have registered. I have a friend, might have more than one, that wants to come as a guest but won't know until the last minute , can he sign up at the Fling? He would bunk with me.

Thanks, we have 50 members and guest registered as of today.
Yes, he can sign up onsite.
jason

Well it looks like I'm going to be relinquishing my cheap Internet room.  Vicki & I had planned the week before the Spring Fling to go on vacation to Zion National Park in Utah and visit the Grand Canyon's North Rim.  But we just found out the road into the North Rim is closed until May 15th.  That sure would have spoiled our day if we drove three hours from Zion National Park to find a locked gate.  :character0029:

Vicki is feeling all bad about my having to give up going to the Spring Fling.  But that should make it a lot easier for me to take the time away from her to go to one of the other COG events like:

• (WV) Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum and Blizzard Run
  • (MD) North & South 16 Get Together
  • (VA) Independence Getaway Weekend
  • (VT/NH) Roaming Un-rally - West Dover VT and North Conway NH, plus Whitehorse Gear
  • (GA) Run With the Wolf Rally
  • (SC) Carolina's CONClave - Its only a Meet & Greet but I do love Carolina Style BBQ
or the Non-COG
  • Americade (NY)
  • Very Boring Rally #3/Aerostich Extravaganza (MN)

I just got off the email with the owner at the Crabby Pig.

He knows we coming and has promised to be staffed accordingly for a busy weekend!

Registration is slightly over 50. Let BOOK THOSE ROOMS and REGISTER ONLINE!

jason

Tim And Trish said:
Is there a certain day/time for the Crabby Pig or just show up when we want?
[/quote
Self guided.  Anytime you want. Easy ride from Bedford or even flight 93. Jason

COG-528 said:
Well it looks like I'm going to be relinquishing my cheap Internet room.  Vicki & I had planned the week before the Spring Fling to go on vacation to Zion National Park in Utah and visit the Grand Canyon's North Rim.  But we just found out the road into the North Rim is closed until May 15th.  That sure would have spoiled our day if we drove three hours from Zion National Park to find a locked gate.  :character0029:

Vicki is feeling all bad about my having to give up going to the Spring Fling.  But that should make it a lot easier for me to take the time away from her to go to one of the other COG events like:

• (WV) Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum and Blizzard Run
  • (MD) North & South 16 Get Together
  • (VA) Independence Getaway Weekend
  • (VT/NH) Roaming Un-rally - West Dover VT and North Conway NH, plus Whitehorse Gear
  • (GA) Run With the Wolf Rally
  • (SC) Carolina's CONClave - Its only a Meet & Greet but I do love Carolina Style BBQ
or the Non-COG
  • Americade (NY)
  • Very Boring Rally #3/Aerostich Extravaganza (MN)
Well it is a good thing that I did not cancel my Internet reservation because we had to reschedule our vacation again.  :-[ 

The plan is for us to spend the last two days of our vacation in Vegas.  But when we rescheduled to the weekend of the Spring Fling we found the room rates in Vegas for the following Monday & Tuesday had more than doubled!
emo12.gif
emo12.gif
emo12.gif
  It seems on those days that there is a convention with a projected attendance of 30,000 coming to town so demand is through the roof. 

We originally planned the vacation to avoid Memorial Day because we figured demand for lodging and travel would drive up prices.  Turns out Vegas room rates for Memorial Day & Tuesday are about the same as the beginning of the month we originally had planned to do.  Even more surprising was we could move our reservations at Zion National Park to Memorial Day weekend without a problem.  So it looks like I will be making it to Spring Fling after all.  ;D 

But I still could use a roommate to split the cheap Internet room rate. ::)

Here is a photo of Jason & Guy at Gobbler's Knob...

Attachments

• Gobbler'sKnob.jpg
    Gobbler'sKnob.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 99
Chuck Landis said:
gsjay said:
Silver Wolf said:
I'm lookin forward to this rally & r we havin a thong contest this year??? hahaha  :))

I'll bring mine  ;D
jason
Can I get my money back?????
Only if you are struck blind :eek: by seeing Karl & Jason in thongs. 
Being made physically sick 
about-to-vomit.gif

vomit.gif
does not count. :rotflmao:

Russell W Fleming said:
Martha and I are coming but we will be in the car this will be Martha 1st weekend away and this will help with her recovery. See you there.

:whoo: :08:

Russell W Fleming said:
Martha and I are coming but we will be in the car this will be Martha 1st weekend away and this will help with her recovery. See you there.

Russell, that is great news!
It will be good to see Martha.

And since you'll have the car you can make the beer run for us!  :beerchug:
jason

Registration is at 59.........

Not bad for being slightly more than 2 months out.

Let shake the bushes and find those friends & other members that are talking about coming to the Fling and motivate them to BOOK THOSE ROOMS and register online.

We're planning on 100 attending.
jason

gsjay said:
Ok, we've got routes posted!
Both GPS and written directions.
My first attempt at GPS routes so make sure you pack an energy bar or two in the tank bag just in case you need some emergency food!
I will pre run these routes before the rally and will update if need.
There is a link on the rally page to find the files.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=171760&mo=5&tDate=%7Bd%20%272013%2D05%2D10%27%7D

jason

Thanks J

Folks... remember to recalculate the routes using your mapping program and map data...  YMMV

S Smith said:
Folks... remember to recalculate the routes using your mapping program and map data...  YMMV

Very good advice! I have failed to do that and found my GPS doing it on me in-route, when I needed it to be giving me directions instead.

Which is why I won't download routes at a rally, but if I can get them on my thumb drive, I can bring them up in MapSource on my laptop and recalculate and voila, on the current version of the map.

voileauciel said:
My room is booked, signed up and ready to go. As a bonus, Simon from Ontario will be my roommate! So excited!!!

Yes, Chris, and I am really hoping to attend this rally. A bit iffy at the moment, but I should know by month's end.

I don't need much of an excuse to ride in PA. Still remember all those wonderful roads during Spring Fling 2011, and also en route to North-South that July.

Cheers,

Simon

Here is another piece of history that can be partially experienced while attending the rally.

The Lincoln Highway began life in 1913 and became America’s first paved, coast-to-coast motoring route. Named highways, like the Lincoln, began disappearing, however, when the Federal government began implementing its new numbering system in 1926. Although the Lincoln was no longer a designated highway and began fading from the view of the larger motoring public, it never completely lost its nostalgic appeal to a segment of motorists. Historical interest grew in later years, resulting in the national Lincoln Highway Association being reactivated in 1992. The organization’s purpose is to commemorate the memory of this historic route and to promote tourism. Several of the 13 states along the original route have also established their own associations and websites to promote tourism.

To celebrate the Lincoln’s 100th birthday, a number of activities are being planned for 2013, including a cross-country anniversary tour. Participants will  start at either end of the original route, in San Francisco or New York City, and meet in Kearney, NE on June 30 for a big celebration. If you’re interested in participating, get the relevant details at the Lincoln Highway Association website (www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org).

71 signed up so far. wow!  :eek:

Roads are gonna be crowded!  I know of at least three more, counting me that haven't "registered" but I have my room!!

:great: :beerchug:

Tim And Trish said:
71 signed up so far. wow!  :eek:

Roads are gonna be crowded!  I know of at least three more, counting me that haven't "registered" but I have my room!!

:great: :beerchug:

Gee, with so many people coming I'm almost tempted to cancel my reservation.  I don't like crowds. :truce:  Still PA is a big state so I should be able to get away from them and I might just skip the Saturday night group dinner.

Not a big crowd person my self. I checked the guest list and there are 4 Wayne's coming, I have never been any place with 4, not that common a name. I was at a place wear 3 of 4 people were Wayne and the other was Dewayne and we had never meet before! 

WG said:
wayne_jenkins_CT said:
... there are 4 Wayne's coming,...

I think "5 Wayne's in one place" is one of the signs of the apocalypse!  :))

We've been close to the apocalypse before.  :beerchug:  The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Spring 2011
Wayne Geiser
Wayne Jenkins
Wayne Sikorski
Wayne Tenney

Fall 2011
Wayne Geiser
Wayne Jenkins
Wayne Sikorski

Spring 2012
Wayne Geiser
Wayne Sikorski

Fall 2012
Wayne Geiser
Wayne Sikorski

Spring 2013
Wayne Geiser
Wayne Jenkins
Wayne Sikorski
Wayne Tenney

Vicki told me she saw on facebook that you had a girlfriend but she didn't say anything about you getting married.

Were any of you fellow riders looking to share a room still?  I am showing up on Friday and leaving Sunday!  Rick

Bug Splat is BACK!

Russell and Martha Fleming have volunteered to organize this fun event for us at the upcoming Spring Fling in Bedford, Pa.

How to play:
You purchase two dots for $5.00. Place the dots on your headlight before heading out.
Upon returning from your days ride Russell & Martha with measure your Splats and determine who got a bull’s eye or at least the closest to a bull’s eye!

Winner will get half of the proceeds, the other half going to the local Volunteer Fire Department.
So be sure to look Russell and Martha up Saturday morning in front of the Motel under the canopy to get in on this fun filled event!
Jason

Registration is up to 76!
Looks like we'll have a nice size group. Can we get to 100?

Not very spring like here today, 3 inches of snow overnight!
BOOK THOSE ROOMS

jason

Yep, is snowing/sleeting here.

Going to VA Medical Center,  Martinsburg, Orthopedics for a surgery consult with the Chief on April 25th and I'm going to suggest we wait until after May 20th so I can still go to this.

Starting to flurry in central NJ now. When we go out there, I'm going to find that stupid groundhog and wring his furry little neck!

What nonsense, what poppycock, predicting an early spring, and then THIS...‽

voileauciel said:
Starting to flurry in central NJ now. When we go out there, I'm going to find that stupid groundhog and wring his furry little neck!

ROFLMFAO Chris. Maybe it will be 70 degrees out next week?

JR said:
voileauciel said:

ROFLMFAO Chris. Maybe it will be 70 degrees out next week?

It had BETTER be, or the groundhog gets it!

:lol_hitting:

We are getting close to some important event deadlines.

• April 1 - Early registration fee discount ends (not a joke).  After this date standard/walk-in fee applies
  • April 16 - Room block on hold will be released. Book by this date to get the negotiated rate.

Go to the online calendar Spring Fling Rally event page to register and get hotel reservation info.

On the calendar, I have a green dot so I know I registered. Probably did that almost as soon as it got on the calendar, lol.

This time, I asked them to give me a "15 walking steps" (aka ADA) room in the COG block, and they said they would give me the first room in the block right next to the office. So I don't even need an actual ADA room.

To think, after I retire in 2014 I will be walking without a cane probably. Really looking forward to getting the knees replaced.

Who wants to take over as Merchandise before July 2014 ? Anyone? Bueller ? :rotflmao:

Hey, just got a ping from ole Jason.

OK, how many of youse/y'all VA and WV dool sporters will be going up to do the Spring Fling?? I can't make it, but there are some sweet roads to explore up there, and, of course, all the new stories you'll be creating.  ;)

Sue and I are signed up, will make hotel reservations tonight.  Damn cheap rally fee Jason, good job..............will we be able to stomach the food on Saturday night?  :D :D :D

klrider said:
Hey, just got a ping from ole Jason.

OK, how many of youse/y'all VA and WV dool sporters will be going up to do the Spring Fling?? I can't make it, but there are some sweet roads to explore up there, and, of course, all the new stories you'll be creating.  ;)

Did someone say Dual Sport  :72:  It would have to be on Saturday though cause Sue and I are signed up for the "93 Tour" on Friday, that is unless there be dirt / gravel on the way to the "93 Tour" then we can kill 2 birds with one stone.

www.ridefps.com

I stopped here yesterday and talked with the Parts guy, Daryl.

He's going to be sure to have a couple tires on hand that will fit the Concours, just in case.

He said that anyone of our group that stops in and tells him they are with the rally will get a free tee shirt! (while supplies last)
Jason

kwn306 said:
Sue and I are signed up, will make hotel reservations tonight.  Damn cheap rally fee Jason, good job..............will we be able to stomach the food on Saturday night?  :D :D :D

I've never lead this group to a bad meal!

Our buffet Saturday night will be:
Fried Chicken
Roast Beef
Vegatable medley
Parsly red skin potato's
& a full salad bar.............
I'm sure everyone will be very happy with the meal.
jason

gsjay said:
www.ridefps.com

I stopped here yesterday and talked with the Parts guy, Daryl.

He's going to be sure to have a couple tires on hand that will fit the Concours, just in case.

He said that anyone of our group that stops in and tells him they with the rally will get a free tee shirt! (while supplies last)
Jason

Very Good. And the meal sounds good too!    Thanks for everything you do Jason! :beerchug:

Sounds fantastic, Jason.

Your event may likely be my only COG event in 2013, given the surgery dates I am getting. I am delaying surgery #1 until after the Fling just so I can go.

We're getting close enough to the event that it's time to ask for some volunteers!

NEEDED:
Registration
Bike wash station
50/50 tickets sales
AMA referee

Please contact me off line if you can help
jason
cog62 at kaplitz dot com
814 659 6865

gsjay said:
kwn306 said:

I've never lead this group to a bad meal!

Our buffet Saturday night will be:
Fried Chicken
Roast Beef
Vegatable medley
Parsly red skin potato's
& a full salad bar.............
I'm sure everyone will be very happy with the meal.
jason

I take it you had nothing to do with Rella's then.

Rella's.... now that was a disappointment.

Jason, I'm now not entirely sure I will be able to make this. I called you yesterday and left a message I would volunteer at the registration desk. Offer still stands, but when I go to the VA clinic tomorrow morning they may scoop me up and transport me to the VA Medical Center and into heart surgery.

And I have no idea if 1-1/2 months will be long enough to recover from that, never having been down that road before.

MARCH RALLY UPDATE

REGISTRATION
We are rocking… there are presently there are 88 registered attendees. Attendance could very easily hit 100 or more. We never thought this would be an issue, but banquet seating is limited to 120. Those previously registered before we hit the 120 limit are guaranteed a seat at the banquet.

RALLY CHECK-IN
There will be a table provided in the hotel lobby for rally check-in. We anticipate the first check-in to be no later than THU evening after dinner. Other morning/evening times will be posted at the table. At check-in you will be required to sign the AMA waiver and be issued a wristband you shall wear for the duration of the rally. The numbered wristband will also be used for any door prize drawings. You may be asked to complete a registration form if we do not already have emergency contact information for you on file, or if you need to update emergency contact info.

SAMPLE RIDE ROUTES
Several self-guided ride route samples and GPS files are available online to aid in your ride planning. Crabby Pig Loop: This 111 mile loop has a stop at the well known Crabby Pig BBQ in Cumberland, MD. Flight 93 Loops:  Your choice of a northern and a southern loop (104-116 miles) to get to the Flight 93 Memorial in Stoystown PA. Raystown Loops: The 2 loops (137 & 176 miles) go either to the south or north of Raystown Lake in PA.

RALLY MEET & GREET
In addition to the typical parking lot shenanigans please join us Friday evening for an after dinner Meet & Greet. We will use one of the meeting rooms in the hotel (location will be posted at the check-in table or ask a rally host). As the name implies, this is a great opportunity to mingle, and introduce yourself to others you do not know. Terry Faherty will be Master of Ceremonies, and will introduce the rally hosts, COG officers, and talk about some basic info helpful to new members and first time COG rally attendees. Light snacks will be provided.

BUG SPLAT IS BACK
Russell and Martha Fleming have volunteered to organize this fun event for Saturday. How to play: You purchase two dots for $5.00. Place the dots on your headlight before heading out. Upon returning from your day’s ride, Russell & Martha with measure your Splats and determine winners based on who got a bull’s eye or at least the closest to a bull’s eye! The winner will get half of the proceeds, the other half will be going to the local Volunteer Fire Department. So be sure to look Russell and Martha up Saturday morning in front of the Motel under the canopy to get in on this fun filled event!

FLIGHT 93 MEMORIAL TOUR
After registration begun a guided tour of the Flight 93 Memorial was planned for Friday, May 17, 10:00AM. The memorial is a beautiful 30-40 minute ride from rally headquarters in Bedford. There is no cost to visit the memorial and you’ll spend about an hour at the site. The National Park Service has asked for an estimated head count. Hopefully you have indicated if you’ll be attending by choosing Yes or No to the Flight 93 question during registration. Here are instructions to verify or update this information in your rally registration:
• Go to club web site home page: www.cog-online.org
• Select Member Area from main menu
• Select Member Links -> My Events from the menu
• Click on the Details icon to the left of the Spring Fling event
• Click on Edit button
• Click Continue button
• Under Registration Information section choose either Yes or No indicating your Flight 93 Memorial tour participation
• Click Continue button until registration update completed

BANQUET DINNER
Our Saturday evening banquet dinner buffet menu has been selected and Jason says, “I'm sure everyone will be very happy with the meal.”  The buffet will be:
• Fried Chicken
• Roast Beef
• Vegetable Medley
• Parsley red skin potatoes
• Full salad bar

I'm all set to go w/ my room booked now & it's been a long azz winter for me & I am sooo lookin forward to the rally this year!!! :)

JR said:
gsjay said:
Jerry Gowen said:
Everything set. Now if spring will only come.....
Hey Jerry.....
Didn't you do up a GPS file for a run to Punsxytawney?
Where is it?
jason

Hope he did, Chris and I and some others probably want to shoot the rodent.

Shoot him? Nawww...

I want to wring its furry little neck, with my bare hands!

gsjay said:
Jerry Gowen said:
Everything set. Now if spring will only come.....
Hey Jerry.....
Didn't you do up a GPS file for a run to Punsxytawney?
Where is it?
jason
If I run into him I will skin the little bastard and make him into a hat.

Will look for the run, but I know I up loaded it a while ago.

I was reviewing some of the info about the motel and stumbled upon the Friday Night Seafood Buffet!

Snow Crab Legs
Steamed Shrimp
Fried Shrim & Clams
other assorted entrees,
Vegetables, potatoes, soup & salad bar, dessert
$26.99 + tax
I see the security squad putting a hurting on this buffet  :beerchug:
jason

COG-528 said:
Vicki told me she saw on facebook that you had a girlfriend but she didn't say anything about you getting married.

LOL Not married just an awesome gal :)

Looking forward to riding with everyone and enjoying some tasty beverages :)

Might have a new Gen II FJR to ride at the Spring Fling.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the perfect, heavily farkled, 2007.  Well actually I did, but by the time I was able to get a hold of the owner he had sold it.  Going to Richmond this weekend to look at a mildly farkled 2006 that Guy Young highly recommends. 

DSC08658_zpsebc35263.jpg

I was reviewing the registration page and I am impressed / surprised by how many folks state that this is there first COG event!
There are many of the 96 people registered who's name doesn't ring a bell.

Our Friday evening Meet & Greet will be very helpful to those new in the group and those OLD in the group.
Guy! :)

See you all soon.
jason

Yea, we're past 100 ..................

Early registration discount is over on April 1st. If you're coming get registered asap or it will cost you $5.00 more.

jason

Has anyone had a chance to look at the GPS routes?

Just courious to see if any mistakes were found.

45 days and counting......................

FYI, snowing in W. PA this morning  :eek:

jason

gsjay said:

jason

Are we going to recreate the May 1992 Great COG Snow Rally ?  Bedford is a lot farther North than Asheville.

144.jpg

COG-528 said:
gsjay said:

jason

Are we going to recreate the May 1992 Great COG Snow Rally ?  Bedford is a lot farther North than Asheville.

144.jpg

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!!

Steve has added a route to Punsxtawney Pa in the Library and I'm working on a suggest lunch stop.

It's great 200 mile loop, avoiding all major highways and will be passing through some beautiful farm land with ample opportunities to stop and smell the roses.

jason

Jerry Gowen said:
Just came from Library. No route to Paux there.

It's in the ZIP as part of the Bedford PA download and not a separate item.

Problems getting to it, contact me: nead@cog-online.org

Well Spring has finally sprung in Western PA...............

Got a first ride in today.

Spent most of the day in Bedford County....
Beautiful! Ridge tops, farm lanes, open sweepers.............

You guys are going to love Bedford!
jason

gsjay said:
Well Spring has finally sprung in Western PA...............

Got a first ride in today.

Spent most of the day in Bedford County....
Beautiful! Ridge tops, farm lanes, open sweepers.............

You guys are going to love Bedford!
jason

Really looking forward to it!

Well, crap, surgery date written in stone, unchangeable, and I will not only not be healed in time for this, I will mix the Crabby Pig also.  :'(

JR said:
Well, crap, surgery date written in stone, unchangeable, and I will not only not be healed in time for this, I will mix the Crabby Pig also.  :'(

:sorry:

JR said:

Sorry about that JR, but you should be able to attend Canaan, and do the steps!!    ;)

Tim And Trish said:
JR said:

Sorry about that JR, but you should be able to attend Canaan, and do the steps!!    ;)

In 2014.....

registration is at 111.  :)

Gonna be a nice turnout.

there is only room for 120 in the banquet room, so if you're coming and want to eat with the group you better get your registration in.

See you soon,
jason

gsjay said:
registration is at 111.  :)

Gonna be a nice turnout.

there is only room for 120 in the banquet room, so if you're coming and want to eat with the group you better get your registration in.

See you soon,
jason

Excellent news!  Looks like its gonna be a damn fine time!  Can't wait to get on the road.  :))